General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow Turning Over

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Question Slow Turning Over

Hello,
I also belong the the Honda VTX motorcycle forum-I get lots of help from there. My wife's 03 accord is acting up so I hope I get some help here. Her car was showing symptoms of a bad battery, it was old so I replaced it. After a few days with the new battery it is beginning to do the same thing. Sometimes it cranks fine-other times it turns over slowly almost stopping, you can try again after a moment and it cranks. There is no pattern to it. Either something is pulling the battery down or something is wrong with the starter. Any help with the troubleshooting will be helpful. I noticed that the ground from the negative post is attached to a painted area on the fender well-I scraped it down to bare metal. That was a problem on VTX motorcycles. I feel at home here it looks just like the VTX forum.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

make sure that battery is fully charged, ,, have the charging system tested for output and also for a possible electrical drain, ..........if ok,, have it tested for starter draw ,,

Old 06-08-2010, 05:11 PM

Hopefully it is just something minor. Low charge battery, bad starter or cables. My 2003 did that right before the engine blew up. I never saw that one coming. It was winter and I replaced the battery for the same reason and it barely turned over one night and a few days later it was over. This may be a waste of time but I recommend checking the oil level. Let us know what you find. Mines ran out of oil without a leak, smoke or the oil light coming on.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 PM

The local autozone has a "Bear" battery/starting system tester (which Honda recommends in the service manual), and they diagnosed my weak battery. The battery had enough juice to start the car, but it was causing all sorts of other very strange problems. Replaced the battery, and all is well 4 years later.

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
Hopefully it is just something minor. Low charge battery, bad starter or cables. My 2003 did that right before the engine blew up. I never saw that one coming. It was winter and I replaced the battery for the same reason and it barely turned over one night and a few days later it was over. This may be a waste of time but I recommend checking the oil level. Let us know what you find. Mines ran out of oil without a leak, smoke or the oil light coming on.
Wow, that su*ks. I bet you check your oil a lot now. Do you still have the car?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:02 PM

I had a used engine installed and this one burns no oil. It is from a 2005. There is small Custer of 2003 Accords with the mysterious oil consumption. I checked the oil level around eighty miles before it blew up. The slack adjuster failed. Engine condition is not common to clause slow cranking but does happen. Two things that stick with me is the oil light didn’t come on and no cause of oil loss was found after the dealership took the head off. The oil just disappeared.