General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke out dash vent with AC on

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Have the pressures tested (high and low) to make sure the system is properly charged.

Next, I'd check for codes from the HVAC system. Two type on this gen Accord, manual and auto HVAC - does it have a **** you turn from hot to cold or is there a temp read out you can set?

To Jim's point, a low charge can actually cause the evap to freeze up.

If everything tests/checks out, can't hurt to change the cabin air filter and I would check the ac drain hose to be sure it is not clogged. I cheat and use my shop vav (wet setting) and vac it from the hose.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I had her bring it in today. They said it was overcharged and that it was freezing up. They evacuated it, recharged to the correct charge and we will see. It worked while she was driving it around this afternoon.

We've only had the car since January and that was the longest she's ever driven it with the air on. I guess it's been fine since she got back from her trip - shorter runs around town so the freezing up part seems to make sense. I kind of figured it was some sort of vapor as she said it didn't accumulate in the cabin like smoke would. I had it in for service for her a month ago and had them change the cabin filter as I didn't know how old it was. Checking the drain tube is also a good idea. We'll address that this weekend.

I haven't gone through the folder of receipts I have on it yet to see if it's ever had the air worked on before.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. Ultimately getting it in and looked at and the pressure tested was the best thing but you all gave me a better understanding of the system. I will post again on this thread if we have any additional trouble to keep everyone updated.

Thanks again. Great forum!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You should check whether compressor is cycling on/off under control of thermostat. If compressor runs continuously, it is likely to freeze up and white vapor (water fog) from vents is result. You may need a new thermistor or thermostat.

Here in Houstion w/ high humidity, this temp control is essential to prevent freezeup, but even at low humidity if compressor never cuts out, evap temp will get very cold and freezeup is likely.

good luck

Old 07-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You should check whether compressor is cycling on/off under control of thermostat. If compressor runs continuously, it is likely to freeze up and white vapor (water fog) from vents is result. You may need a new thermistor or thermostat.

Here in Houstion w/ high humidity, this temp control is essential to prevent freezeup, but even at low humidity if compressor never cuts out, evap temp will get very cold and freezeup is likely.

good luck
I assume you can run it and listen for it to cut in and out?

Old 07-21-2014, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

While driving it may be difficult to perceive if compressor is on/off. You may need to observe a stopped vehicle w/ hood raised to check.

good luck