General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Some help with odb codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Default Some help with odb codes

So I was driving along and the 'check engine' light came on, the green shift position indicatior around 'D4' started blinking, and the car behaved badly. I pulled over, stopped, then re-started the car, and the problem went away. I checked the ODB code, which I believe is 6.

The amber 'check engine' blinked 6x. but what I have not seen mentioned anywhere, is that the green light around d4 also blinks slowly, and out of sync with the check engine light when in diagnostic mode. -- I presume this has no significance, but thought I would confirm anyway.

ALSO

An image from another post [ attached ] shows the location of the TW sensor, the one implicated in this error code.

-- What is the device to it's right from which the wires exit? it too looks like a sensor. Am I mistaken?

I have taken off the connectors, and sprayed contact cleaner on them. It seems to have helped. I find it difficult to get a meter into the sensor location to test the resistance, but if the problem re-occurs, I guess I'll have to remove it? to test it, and +/- replace it.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Some help with odb codes-ect-sensor.jpg  
Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

The part is the sender for the temp. gauge.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

That picture of the wires seems misleading. The wire doesn't go from one sensor to the other. Each sensor has it's own wire going into the wire harness.

The TW sensor is shown unplugged. That measures water temperature for the engine-control computer.

Just to the right is another sensor with only 1 wire. That's the sender for the dashboard temperature gauge.

Now for the D4 lamp blinking... When you jumper the SCS connector, the D4 lamp is flashing it's own error code. Count the blinks the same way but you look that code up in a different list (transmission errors). It might be a completely unrelated problem.

edit... RedBull beat me to it

Old 06-27-2012, 03:36 PM

Jim,

Do you have a link to decipher the D$ codes? They are not listed in the 'sticky posts' here, and some links mentioned in other posts don't work.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Look in the DIY section. I'm not the best source because I always buy manual transmission cars.