General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sounds like same issue I have

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:04 PM

PAhonda, No. Plug tube dry! Top of the piston in #2 cylinder appeared wet/moist. Not sure if water or oil.

Yes, I did the work. Figured worth doing after compression check with old head. At time, thought low compression in #2 had head gasket issue. I added little oil to #2 cylinder before headwork and raised compression maybe 10psi. With oil usage issue now, don't think I have ring issue based on original compression check. Additional thoughts?

Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

I am wondering if you have pockets air in your coolant when you refilled. Did you open the bleeder valve on the thermostat housing?

Also, make sure that you have all the grounds in the engine bay tightened.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you can swap plug leads (not sure there's enough slack), see if miss pattern changes and dirty plug moves. This would indicate a bad spark plug lead, perhaps shorting to ground.

From what you've said this seems a long shot, but we're out of options.

The only other thing I could suggest is checking for intake manifold leak w/ throttle body cleaner sprayed around intake manifold. If there's a leak, the idle should change when cleaner is pulled in through the leak.

Is coolant level holding? no additions necessary?

good luck

Old 12-12-2010, 08:15 PM

Well... I believe the problem was a bad plug wire #2 cylinder. Put new wire set on and new plug in #2 cylinder. Drove the car 240 miles with no issues... no miss and most importantly, no oil loss. Had been chasing why the car was leaking/burning a quart a week since the head work mid October. Finally saw oil running down the back side of the engine from where the oil switch is located. Thought the oil loss was due to faulty oil pressure switch. After its replacement though, lost another quart of oil the next week. That last quart though coincided with the miss and fouled plug. Still a mystery to me why the #2 cylinder looked wet and the oil turned gray. Possibly the cause of that last quart of oil lost?? My daughter has her car back, so hope no more issues.

Thanks for both of your input.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Thanks for the followup on the solution. Sometimes the solution is not readily apparent and satisfying, however a solution is better than none.

good luck

Old 04-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

not to say this is whats wrong but i have the same problem with the misfiring, took my valve cover off and was looking at valves and happen to see i have slack in my timing belt on each side of my cam gear. an easy inspection. i didnt see u have it fixed, nevermind