General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Special Honda tools in shop manual, where to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Special Honda tools in shop manual, where to buy

I have the Helm Honda shop manual for a 2000 Accord. It mentions several special Honda tools. Does anybody know where to obtain them? I did a Google for the part numbers and nothing comes up. I don't think the dealer has them, and besides they would charge exhorbitant prices.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:14 AM
Administrator
Talking Hello Member

Originally Posted by Clevor
I have the Helm Honda shop manual for a 2000 Accord. It mentions several special Honda tools. Does anybody know where to obtain them? I did a Google for the part numbers and nothing comes up. I don't think the dealer has them, and besides they would charge exhorbitant prices.
What are the special tools that they are meantioning that you need?
Post them for us..

Old 04-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm rebuilding a BX7A V-6 auto tranny. It's to prevent the three axle shafts from turning when you torque the top caps to 123-166 ft-lbs. I know you can use a shop rag jammed between the gears but it gives a little so a bit harder to torque the caps compared to the shafts being mechanically locked.

Anybody know if I install the torque converter and lock that with a flywheel holding tool, it will hold the shafts? I think not, because of the way a torque converter works.

Actually I found the 07GAB-PF50101 tool on some Honda parts sites, but $70.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:16 AM

If you take the part number and plug it into any online Honda dealer site such as hondapartscheap.com or hondaautomotiveparts.com you can buy the tool that way or Snap-On will also have one but both of those places will be expensive. The crank pulley is torqued down as much as anything. What I do when I need to pull the flywheel is put a socket on the crank bolt and a breaker bar and when you turn the flywheel bolts eventually the breaker bar will bottom out against the suspension and will keep the flywheel from moving.

Yes, there's a special tool that you put on the transmission that holds the flywheel, honda calls it a ring gear holder but my method works just as good.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
If you take the part number and plug it into any online Honda dealer site such as hondapartscheap.com or hondaautomotiveparts.com you can buy the tool that way or Snap-On will also have one but both of those places will be expensive. The crank pulley is torqued down as much as anything. What I do when I need to pull the flywheel is put a socket on the crank bolt and a breaker bar and when you turn the flywheel bolts eventually the breaker bar will bottom out against the suspension and will keep the flywheel from moving.

Yes, there's a special tool that you put on the transmission that holds the flywheel, honda calls it a ring gear holder but my method works just as good.
Actually my situation is different since I'm working on the other end: the transmission. It's out of the car, but in these constant mesh automatics, you have three rotating shafts with a big lock nut at the end. Since they are not under hydraulic pressure outside the car, they rotate both ways. The nuts have to be torqued as high as 166 ft-lbs on several occasions during reassembly, to seat the gears. Some people use a shop rag wedged between two gears, or air pressure to lock the clutches.

I'm thinking $70 for the tool is nothing compared to the ripoff $3000-4000 the shops charge to rebuild this tranny.

When I used to rebuild V-8 engines, you definitely need a flywheel locking tool with the engine in the stand, to install the harmonic balancer.