General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer working intermitatley

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:50 AM
Default Speedometer working intermitatley

Sometimes the speedo works and most of the time it doest. Im thinking it is a grounding issue but I dont have any idea as to where to start looking.
I downloaded the electrical diagrams from the diy section but they arent labeled so I dont know which to click on...
Any help is appreciated.

Forgot to add, it is a 97 accord, not sure of the specific model as it is my girlfriends but it does not have vtec and its an auto.

Last edited by m6 c5; 10-31-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Is the check engine light on? If yes, you can retrieve the trouble code, which may point to the vehicle speed sensor (VSS).

However, if no check engine light, it may be the speedometer circuit board. You can use another one from another Accord and replace it. See this thread:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2460328

Copy and paste without quotation marks (" ") to view.

I've been studying the circuit board for a while now and I think the problem may be due to a faulty component, the ceramic resonator. If you are willing to spend a few bucks to test with the bad circuit board, see this other thread. No guarantees on whether this is the faulty component though.

"http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2992609"

Old 10-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb

That was a good link for that problem..Your on the ball Redbull-1

Attached Thumbnails Speedometer working intermitatley-image1.jpg  
Old 11-01-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Is the check engine light on? If yes, you can retrieve the trouble code, which may point to the vehicle speed sensor (VSS).

However, if no check engine light, it may be the speedometer circuit board. You can use another one from another Accord and replace it. See this thread:

Speedo Works randomly - Honda-Tech

Copy and paste without quotation marks (" ") to view.

I've been studying the circuit board for a while now and I think the problem may be due to a faulty component, the ceramic resonator. If you are willing to spend a few bucks to test with the bad circuit board, see this other thread. No guarantees on whether this is the faulty component though.

"http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2992609"
Well there is no check engine light and she can set the cruise when the speedo is not working so Im pretty sure its not the vss. So it looks like Ill be making a trip to the junk yard for a new circuit board as there doesnt appear to be a definite fix for it besides replacement. I guess I need to look at one that would have relatively low miles on it as hers has close to 200k on it and I assume its less likely to have a problem the fewer miles the car has on it.