General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRS light and low voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Default SRS light and low voltage?

Hey there. I have a question that I was hoping you all might be able to help me out with. Since December, I have had the SRS airbag light indicator come on in my 2006 Honda Accord, but only in the morning, and only when the outside temperature has been below freezing that night. After a few minutes when the car warms up, if I turn the car off and then back on the SRS light is gone. The rest of the day, no problem. Figuring that it was not the safest thing to drive with, I had it checked out by the repair shop that I feel comfortable with. They checked the code and said that it showed up as a faulty SRS computer, and the computer would need to be replaced. It seems crazy to me that a 2006 Accord with under 52,000 would need a new SRS unit, so I started looking online to see if I could find any info. I saw about the SRS units in previous Accords, but it seems like they have those issues ironed out in the 2005 and 2006. I did however, see that some people have said that low voltage also could trigger the same defective code in the SRS unit, which got me thinking. The original Honda battery died and was replaced at the end of November with an AC Delco ACD 51R60 (460 CCA). Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure that the airbag light indicator started right after that when the weather turned cold. I don’t know what the difference is between the two batteries, but my theory here is that maybe the AC Delco battery is not cranking enough when it is cold compared to the old Honda battery, and it is triggering the SRS airbag light. Am I on to something here or grasping at straws so that I don’t have to pay the $550 or so to replace the unit?

Thanks much for any help!

Old 01-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

You can get the battery tested at a parts store just to be sure. You can also clean and tighten all ends of both battery cables.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Junior Member/Canadian Connection

Another suggestion get a better battery, 750 CCA, but not bigger then that... as the bigger battery's dont last as long due to the better chance of freezing...

We dont know where you are.. but up here in Canada most of the cars run 750 CCA batteries.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone know what the CCA rating is for the original battery that would have been in this car?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

4 or 6 cyl, based upon the replacement batery number (51R) I'll go with the 4 cyl. If my online source is correct ~475 CCA, you have 460 which is close but I don't think that is your issue.

I'm with PA on checking the connections, bad or loose connections can cause all kinds of strange things...older models (my 95) it can cause the ABS light to come on..how do I know that, guess what.