General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Default starting issue

Ok here is the problem. I bought a 1991 Accord wagon 5 speed, when i got it it had a kill switch wired up to the fuel pump. It worked by when starting the car you had to turn the key to acc then flip the switch the fuel pump would turn on the you start the car. I thought this was nonsence so i took the car to a shop and had them remove the switch an at th same time they put a new main relay in. Now the car when you try to start it doesnt start it trys to but wont turn over. now here is the crazy part if i take the pos terminal and tap it off the pos side of batt it will start. and run perfect but as soon as i turn it off i goes right back to the starting problem. Please if any one has experienced or has an idea about what to do i would greatly appreciate it

Old 03-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First, confirm you have a good battery and starter is turning engine over fine, but no engine start-up.

Next, suggest turning keyswitch to On and listening carefully for main fuel relay (MFR) under the dash to click and fuel pump to run 3-secs and cut off. Check Engine Light should go off at same time as fuel pump.

If that is fine, then next try a starting test by spraying a good 10-sec dose of throttle body cleaner into the throttle body entrance (remove air duct) and attempt to start.

If engine starts briefly and runs, but quits then fuel supply is the problem, perhaps a failing fuel pump or blocked fuel filter.

If engine fails to start w/ above, then spark is likely missing and you'll need to find out what's causing lack of spark; usually ignition coil or ignitor. Check DIY section for diagnostics of coil and ignitor.

good luck

Old 03-06-2011, 06:40 PM

I did replace the battery and when i spray starting fluid in the throtle body it did do as you said ran for a couple sec then shut back off. If this problem would be a fuel filter would it run normal when i did get it started because like i said if I tap the positive terminal it starts up and runs fine. Here is another question would this be a fuel pump or more likely a fuel filter.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 PM

This sounds like it could be a connection problem. Seems that the fuel pump is not being activated or the injectors are not being supplied with electrical impulses to spray which could indicate a short possibly in the ignitor?

Old 03-06-2011, 07:03 PM

so how would i go about testeing for this problem if it is a connection proble

Old 03-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

The ignitor has nothing to do with fuel delivery.

You never told us if you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car in TexasHonda's instructions.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:42 PM

No i do not hear the fuel pump prime. But if it was say the fuel pump would the car run normal once i do the taping on the positive terminal. And what would cause it to be able to start while doing that

Old 03-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Try this starting procedure when no-start condition is presented. "Hammer" the ignition key, on/off/on/off until you hear the fuel pump engage. If you don't hear the fuel pump run, the car will not start. "Bumping" the battery may do same hammering.

If this works, the problem is an intermittent fuel pump. I had this problem and it took a while to finally convince myself that fuel pump was sticking. It was very intermittent.

good luck

Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Hit the bottom of the fuel tank with your fist, that might wake up a marginal pump.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

In the first post, you said the shop removed a kill switch for your fuel pump.

I wonder if there is an alarm system installed as well? Look up under the steering column and see if there is wiring that is distinctly out of place and not part of the factor wiring.

Also look for the repair they did on the wiring and tell us what wire colors are involved. Where was the kill switch in the first place?