General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

starting problem

Old 09-08-2008, 12:17 AM
ejmonkey3
Unregistered
Default starting problem

hello all this is my first post.

alright i have a 1992 honda accord lx. its my first honda and i got it last year for a steal price with 84,000 miles, now has 149,000 and runs like a champ except for one small issue. ever since around 122,00 miles it sometimes has a hard time starting. it is one of the strangest starting problems i have ever encountered in the auto world. here is what it does. sometimes i will go to start it and it will turn over and have spark but it will not want to start. it clicks and turns but sounds like no fuel. sometimes it will start up and then it will just rise to 1500RPM and then dies.(reminds me of back to the future)im pretty sure it does have soemthing to do with the fuel. it usually does this when its hot out and im sure it will give me more grief when the winter hits and we have -20 below wheather. i have taken it to a few honda places and they all tell me the same thing. we really can't help you unless its not starting here and then we can joggle it. it seems to not start randomly so theres no way to really make it not start. heres a few tips that have made it start

* go to the fuel cap and take it off and sometimes not all the time theres pressure built up. then i will tighten it and it will start up.

* turn the key over to have fuel pump turn on and then repeat 3 times to built up pressure. this is pretty common when a fuel pump is going out but we have checked it severel times and it does not seem to be the main problem.

* open the hood and take the pcv valve out, then start the car and then stick the pcv valve in.

*last resort and always works, hasnt let me down just delayed me to places. i will wait 20 minutes and then crank it over to start just fine.

if it usually doest start i usually go for the gas cap, then the pcv, then the 3 repeat. they are many times when i try all three and it wont at all start. i will then have to wait 20 minutes.

heres what has been done to the vehicle

spark plugs, wires, coil pack, ignition module (which is so stupid i think but hey gm does it do)replaced all these within the last 10,000 miles.
fuel regulater was done at around 90,000 miles and did a fuel filter replacement. also did a fuel replacement within last 10,000 miles.
pcv and air cleaner done within last 5,000 miles.

im pretty sure there was something else but my mind just went blank. anyways i hope you guys could help me out and maybe have had a similiar issue and solution. thanks for anyones help in advance