General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

startup wobble noise - 2003 honda accord

Old 10-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Default startup wobble noise - 2003 honda accord

Hello. Upon startup of my 2003 Honda Accord EX V-6 couple, I hear a wobbling sound that comes from the belt area of the car. It goes away after 2 or so seconds but is very noticeable right as the car is cranking and starting up. I tried to have my dad start the car while I looked through the hood, however it did not make the noise at that point. So it does not always occur, but I want to safely say I always hear it when the car is cool upon start up. It is pretty intense wobbling sound that I feel something like a pulley is going to pop off as it occurs. One more thing that I should add is that recently if I go over any rough surface, I also hear some slight noise coming from the same side the belts are located. Sounds like something is loose (not sure how to describe it well, but different from the wobbling sound) Thank you for any help - Kosta

Last edited by techpro87; 10-25-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

A noise over the internet is always hard to figure out....your "wobble" is my "hum".

Plus add that it does not happen all the time.....humm.

Can you try to get a video/sound clip of it? There are just so many "possible" things it is hard to even know where to start the suggestions.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

There was a service bulletin for the V6 regarding a chirp coming from the lower timing belt area. The noise is most often noticed at idle, usually after the engine has warmed up. Your problem is mainly at start-up though. See if it sounds the same.

It was due to the idler pulley mounting surface tilted, causing the edge of the timing belt to rub against the side of the pulser flange on the drive pulley (gear).

Honda TSB 08-045

Gates

Old 10-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley rubber bushing can wear out and start wobbling. It will eventually fail causing some damage; belt breakage and possible electrical system failure (battery not being charged).

This problem might also be more noticeable at cold idle. Look for a split between outer pulley rim and inner drive.

good luck

Old 10-25-2014, 02:17 PM

Thank you for the quick replies. I have attached two links containing the sounds. The first file shows the clanking on initial startup (around the 4 second mark). The second link is a continuation of the noise. I noticed it was constant when shifted in reversed. Car was stopped either through braking or the hand brake use. Additionally this morning upon the first few start ups no noise was made (apparently it does not always happen). Eventually when the noise did start it continues with each successive startup. Additionally, the noise is louder from the inside of the car, rather than the location of the pulleys. Seems like it is coming the back or under the engine. Also when I drive over rough surfaces, particular with my right tire, i hear a similar sound to that that occurs upon startup (4 second mark on audio track). I tried to see if braking suddenly or jerking the steering wheel to a particular direction will make a noise, but nothing. Seems only to occur from when the tire bumps and there is some vertical deflection. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. - Kosta

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xn211fj13a...201a_.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivmb5dvjbt...%201b.mp3?dl=0

Old 10-26-2014, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

I can hear it.....I can really "place it". Hope someone else can chime in with more ideas.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If this occurs in N or P, then it's got to be something in the engine or accessory drive (serpentine belt). You need to pinpoint the origin of the noise; under valve cover, timing cover, etc.

good luck

Old 10-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Humm, after more coffee and thinking. It does sound like a bearing going out.

Now as TX noted, which one. Alt, tensioner, WP, ect. You can remove the serp/accy belt and turn the pulleys by hand and see if you feel any "hard spots" in them. You can also run the engine with the belt off and listen for the noise.......I understand it is not there all the time so running it with the belt off might not prove anything.