General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sticking clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:24 AM
robertomiguel
Unregistered
Default sticking clutch pedal

2002 Accord 4 cylinder, 5-speed manual tranny, 96,000 miles
The clutch pedal sticks down occasionally.I lubricated the pedal's pivot point but
still getting the same problem. Is it time for a new clutch master cylinder & slave cylinder.
No sign of leak anywhere in the line.

Thanks a bunch, this site is awesome!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: sticking clutch pedal

Can you tell if it's just ordinary friction at the pedal pivots? If so, try dismantling the pedal to lubricate it better. Use grease instead of oil?

Look for physical interference from stuff like switches, brackets, wiring, or trim panels against the pedal.

No leak, right? No loss of fluid inventory over time? Check for fluid soaking into the carpeting below the pedal pushrod.

Try bleeding the system, but that may only be temporary. It could be the clutch master cylinder going bad. It leaks back into the reservoir, so that's why it doesn't leak OUT.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:09 AM
robertomiguel
Unregistered

There's no friction at pedal pivots, seems ok there but I'll check again if there's
anything interferring with pedal operation like wiring, plastic panels etc.
The level at the reservoir seems ok but I haven't check for any fluid leak on the carpet
below the pedal pushrod. My next move will be to bleed the system and I hope
it's not the clutch master or the release cylinder.

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it, I realy need to talkto somebody who knows
a lot about cars to calm my nerves hehehe.

robertomiguel

Old 03-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the best expert is at a disadvantage on-line because we can't see your car firsthand. There's no substitute for working the clutch pedal myself, it's hard to be absolutely certain about anything from this distance.

Seems to me that simple air in the lines would ALSO cause a very low engagement point even when the pedal doesn't stick.

How does it behave when you leave it sit for 1/2 hour then press the clutch pedal?

How does it behave when you press the clutch pedal repeatedly.

Have someone pump the pedal while you measure the travel of the throw-out lever. Seems to me that it should be about 12mm or so.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:41 PM
robertomiguel
Unregistered

Most of the time it happens when you're at the stop light and you have your foot on the clutch waiting for the light to change. But I tried stepping on the pedal repeatedly while the
engine is not running and it seams to be fine. I would check the hydraulic lines closely and see if there's any leak. I greased that point where the slave cylinder pushrodpivots withthe throw-out lever.

Thanks again!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Try this...

Have someone pump the pedal while you watch the slave & T-O fork. Like I said, it should move back & forth about 12mm. Then have them hold the pedal to the floor for a few minutes. During that time, the T-O fork must not drift back towards the slave, compressing the slave pistion back into it's cylinder. If it does, its pretty certain your clutchmaster cylinder is bad.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:10 AM
robertomiguel
Unregistered

Thanks again Jim, I really apprciate all the info you've given here.
As soon as I get the chance i'll start checking/working on the car.
I'll start with the what you just said on your last post.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

I'm a little fuzzy about the 12mm. I don't know whether that distance varies much from year-to-year or among different Honda models.

But the idea of it NOT drifting back towards the slave when you hold the pedal is the important part.

That is the direct analog to the brake pedal slowly sinking to the floor when you hold it at a red light.