General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Stiff brakes after being parked

Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Question Stiff brakes after being parked

Hello,

I have a 2005 Honda accord hybrid sedan. The problem that I am experiencing is that after the car has been parked outside for some time(its cold out) the brakes are very stiff when I pump them. So the first pump goes all the way down, next 3 pumps cause the brake not to go down at all and then it loosens up and works normally.

I took it to the dealer and they said I need to replace my abs modulator (part number 57110-SDR-A22). They told me its a $2200 job. This is a lot of money and I am wondering if they are trying to trick me.

I searched online and I can buy a replacement part for about $1200 and I am sure I can get a auto garage to install it.

However, is the problem I am describing can be caused by this part or not? Any help is appreciated

Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

There is a service bulletin regarding the ABS/TCS or VSA modulator-control unit has leaked air into the brake system.

Honda TSB 07-045

Old 01-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It could be a master cylinder or brake caliper leak. Any slow decline of brake fluid would confirm a leak.

Very unlikely to be ABS related. I'm assuming you have no ABS or TCS system DTC lights on? Probably a slow day for a service rep who decided to try and get well w/ one customer.

good luck

Old 01-29-2014, 06:31 AM

I have no service lights on at all. I think you are right that they are trying to pull one over on me. I was going to go to a local auto garage to have them check it out.

In regards to the service bulletin that was posted, the brake pedal is very hard stiff and does not move when the car is cold. This is opposite of what the service bulletin mentions where they talk about the pedal being too soft.

Thank you for the responses.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

To be fair, the TSB does specify replacement of the modulator to fix the problem. However, I would want some definitive diagnosis before replacement. Your symptoms don't match that closely. Air in brake lines doesn't get better w/o bleeding brakes.

If it comes to replacement, used modulators are readily avialalbe (I'm assuming you use same modulator as 2.3L engine) for < $100, some much cheaper. I used car-part.com to source the part (anti-lock brake pump).

good luck

Old 01-29-2014, 12:58 PM

Thank you TexasHonda for the insight. I read the TSV and my symptoms seem completely opposite of what they are saying.

Actually I think I would be using the 3.0L modulator as I have the hybrid addition of the car. It is still $250-400 price range for used parts. Much better than the $1700 quoted to me by the dealer. I will be taking the car in on Friday at a local auto garage and I hope they will give me a more accurate diagnosis.