General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strong burning rubber smell while driving with air turned on

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 05:38 PM
Default Strong burning rubber smell while driving with air turned on

Hello,

I'm seeking some immediate assistance regarding a 2000 Honda Civic with 182,741 miles that I'm interested in buying. The body and interior of the car looks great and is very clean. What I am concerned about is the very strong burning smell with very faint white smoke coming into the car that almost made me sick while driving with the air on. However, once the a/c was turned on, the smell subsided. This is the 2nd time in 2 months that I test drove this car and the same smell occurred with very faint white smoke coming into the car. I want to make a good purchase. Should I have the car put on a diagnostic machine before purchasing? The car also had a delay when accelerating after a complete stop. Please let me know what I should do before purchasing.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

IMHO, these concerns should already be enough to not consider this car, as they may not be easily or inexpensively resolvable:

• very strong burning smell with very faint white smoke coming into the car that almost made me sick while driving with the air on. However, once the a/c was turned on, the smell subsided.
  • The car also had a delay when accelerating after a complete stop.
They can cause health or safety issues.