General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T or F: Burning rubber Smell symptom of timing chain going

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Default T or F: Burning rubber Smell symptom of timing chain going

Hello- I am the owner of a 93 Honda Accord Wagon which I bought used with no records. And as a disclaimer, I am not much of a motor head, and do not work on my own car.

This car has 173 miles, but it has been well maintained. We do not know if the timing belt has ever been replaced (it's a belt on this model right? The kind that can wreck the engine if it goes?)

I know I need to replace it.

Recently, I have started smelling a faint burning rubber smell. All 'visible' belts, hoses look okay, etc. However, my neighbor tells me that the smell of burning rubber can be the sign of a timing chain going out, and to immediately cease driving the car. (She just had a chevy lumina die for this reason.)

Don't have an appointment w/ the mechanic for 3 days. What do you think of her advice? Is burning rubber a possible symptom of a timing chain going? I had my very first car die on me for this reason, but there were no symptoms. Just stopped dead in its tracks.

Thanks! Melissa

Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

You are correct that it has a timing belt and that if it breaks it will cause engine damage.

The belt is made of rubber so its possible. Most just snap due to drying out and wearing out. For the rubber smell I would think it would have to be rubbing against something and wearing away.

There are just two 8 or 10mm bolts holding the top timing cover on, you could pop this off and see if the belt looks like its been rubbing on something.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:41 AM

I am pleasantly surprised to here that it's that easy to check the belt. I was under the impression that it was a huge, labor intensive production that would involve draining the oil, etc.

So, is 'don't drive it' good advice under the circumstances?

Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Well to change the actual belt there is a lot more involved(although the oil doesn't have to be drained), but to just see a portion of the belt you can just remove the cover.

I would certainly inspect it first, and I would replace it as soon as you can.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Thank you!

Old 05-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The valve cover captures the upper timing belt cover and must be lifted for removal of upper timing belt cover.

good luck

Old 05-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

You may want to call your local honda dealership to see if your accord had the timing belt replaced. They should be able to look up the VIN to see if any honda dealership has done work on it. It is worth a shot.

The second timing belt change is due at 180, if the belt was first changed at 90K miles.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
The valve cover captures the upper timing belt cover and must be lifted for removal of upper timing belt cover.

good luck
Aw yes I always forget about that.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Thank you very much for the advice to call a dealership and see if they can access maintenance records via the VIN. You'd have to assume the timing belt had already been done at 90 if this thing was still running with 170 on it! Before I bought the car, I brought it in for an inspection from a mechanic, and he said 'Buy it, it's been well maintained". It had a military parking decal, so I always imagined some member of our armed forces religiously observing necessary maintenance.