General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stuck brake caliper bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Default stuck brake caliper bolt

I am having a problem getting out the bottom caliper bolt on the passenger side to change the pads. Pb blaster helped on the driver's side but that and a variety of other methods haven't worked. The 6 pt socket rounded the head badly, which I then grinded down with a dremel to fit a smaller socket and got the same result. Craftsman bolt-out couldn't get a grip on the head while vise grips and plumber wrenches kept damaging it more. At this point, the bolt head is pretty much toast. I've also tried heating around the bolt with a propane torch but it still won't turn.

Any suggestions on how to get it off? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

IIRC, the caliper bolt is threaded only into the caliper.

You should be able to slide the caliper out of the bracket with the stuck bolt in the caliper. Douse the inside of the caliper bolt with PB blaster.

You should be able to get the vice grips on the part of the caliper bolt that goes into the bracket and get enough torque to loosen it. Get the vice grips on as tight as you can. You may also want to bolt the top caliper pin back in to prevent the caliper from moving.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:22 AM

Well, it took my father and a neighbor but the bolt is off now. Loosening the top bolt somehow made it easier for them to grip and turn the bottom one using a plumbers wrench. I didn't get to see since I was looking up how to cut the bolt and drill the part out. Anyways, thanks for the help PA.