General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Stuck in Park

1999 Accord 3.0 V6 Coupe AT.
Within the last week my car will not shift out of Park--the shifter button would not press all the way in, tried WD-40. Its done it 4 or 5 times since. Button on **** feels the same when I try to shift with brake depressed and with out brake depressed. I found pumping brakes seemed to help, Some sort of sensor maybe? Any ideas?

Old 12-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Possibly the brake switch, which is located directly above the brake pedal.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check if your brake lights are coming on when brake is pressed. If brake lights come on, the shift lock solenoid has failed or become misaligned causing lock to remain engaged. If it's misaligned you should be able to hear the solenoid throw (click) when brake is pressed, but shift is not released. If no sound, the solenoid is open, circuit fuse open, or wiring fault.

You'll need to remove the console to access solenoid for replacement or adjustment. Get a shop manual to guide console removal and solenoid replacement/adjustment. Even a 4-cylinder manual should be adequate. Check Online Manuals links in DIY forum for latest model Accord you can find, or buy one from helminc.com.

good luck

Old 12-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the replies-- all the information really helps. For now I'm able to pump the brakes to get it outta Park, as it only gets stuck one in every 20 times I shift out of Park. But now ill know what to look for if problem persists or gets worse. Thanks again guys !

Old 08-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi starting this back up to see if anyone has any info or similar issues to what i've just dealt with: car stalled out last week while ideling, it was in drive at the time as I was sitting in it. I shifted to P and turned key over to start key, it turned over but no start, did this a few times and decided car was in a bad spot and I planned to push it 30 ft or so to a safer place. When I got ready to shift into N it was lock up again. Took a few min of tappin the brakes and tryin to press shifter button until it finally shifter to N(also still would not start while I was doing this) after I pushed it and sat for another 5min in started up.

Bout a week later I went out to my driveway and attempted to start, it turned over, started for a fraction of a second and stalled out. the shifter was locked up again and took another 5min of depressing brake and playin w shifter (key was turned on of course) until it slid out of park. Once it shifter was unlock the car started up without a problem.

Any one out there dealing with this? Any ideas? Thanks !!

Old 08-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Did you try any of my original suggestions?

good luck

Old 08-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Where it hasn't happened in a year? or so, don't remember original post date off the top of my head-
I havent done anything with it, and as Im not super excited to take console apart, I thought Id check one more time see if anyone had an issue like this, where it happening only once in a while.
I do have all the manuels and Im going to attempt an adjustment, as with what the car is doing and your suggestion is the closest match.
Thanks for your time again.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Default Stuck in park 2

I'm having the same problem of being "stuck in park" with my 01 Accord Coupe. I've found that if you depress the pedal slow and on the right edge of it that will make it work quicker...b/c mine gets stuck like every 5th time I try to get from park to drive or reverse. I guess I should probably read the rest of these replies b/c right now I'm trying to figure out what part to buy to fix this issue....

Stuck in Park-bossb-honda-rear.jpg

Old 08-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

When you push on the brake pedal, do your brake lights work?