General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Swaping from NON VTEC to VTEC

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Default Swaping from NON VTEC to VTEC

I am building a 94 accord lx. the car is set up for a non VTEC with a manual trans.

I bought a 95 ex as a parts car. It has a good running VTEC motor but a bad auomatic trans. I have the computer and everything with the car.

The problem i am having is what to do with the wiring harness. Im using the VTEC from the 95, and i bought a new manual trans.

If i take the computer out of the parts car and switch it over to the 94 would i have any big issues by not using the trany part of the harness. the speed sensor plugs are the same, and so are most of the connecters except the trans ones.

anyone with any input on my lil confusion will be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-11-2010, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

I just want to be clear on what you are doing. You are putting the 95 EX (vtec) engine into the 94 LX(non vtec) car right?

If so, use the 95 EX wire harness, engine, and ECU. You might need the 95 exhaust down to the cat. if the wiring harness for the O2 sensor is used in the swap.

The 95 automatic ECU will work, but you will have to remove a jumper in the ECU to turn it from an automatic ECU to a manual ECU. I don't know if that information is on this forum, but pgmfi [dot] org will have that information.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I just want to be clear on what you are doing. You are putting the 95 EX (vtec) engine into the 94 LX(non vtec) car right?

If so, use the 95 EX wire harness, engine, and ECU. You might need the 95 exhaust down to the cat. if the wiring harness for the O2 sensor is used in the swap.

The 95 automatic ECU will work, but you will have to remove a jumper in the ECU to turn it from an automatic ECU to a manual ECU. I don't know if that information is on this forum, but pgmfi [dot] org will have that information.
I really appreciate the info, and yes im swaping a VTEC motor into a non VTEC car.

I have pulled the harness out today. Im having a lil problem locating the info i need to pull the jumper in the ecu. I tried finding it on the web site you gave me (great web site by the way) but i just cant find it. i really need to find this because im on kinda of a time crunch. Im waiting to paint it cause dont want to scratch anything in the process. anyway any more info you can throw my way would be great.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Default ecu auto to manual

PGMFI.ORG - Grassroots ECU Development - Library . OBD1P13AutoManual

"http://wikitest.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view.pl/Library/OBD1P13AutoManual"

Last edited by JimBlake; 08-05-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: active link