General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Accord 2.4 SE (hit puddle) cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Default 2007 Accord 2.4 SE (hit puddle) cranks but wont start

Automatic with 56,000 miles like mint condition.

Drove through a big puddle not knowing how deep it was but it was deep enough to reach my exhaust opening and possibly the OEM intake. Car stalled then was later pushed out of puddle after water receded and car towed. Unfortunately, I'm very poor these days and only have liability insurance. An y help would deeply appreciated.

Here is everything Ive done and the situation in general.

1. I replaced the Air filter and Spark plugs. Does not seem like any water got into the intake. The air filter may have dried out a bit but its probable some water got through and into the intake passing the MAF sensor, so the plugs and filter looked good and there was no water in the engine considering the plugs were pulled and engine turned over and no water was found.

2. Checked compression and its perfect, 170 in each cylinder.

3. Fuel pump works fine and is delivering fuel, injectors were tested, pulse properly and fuel sample is perfect.

4. No codes and alarm system is working properly. Key icon when key turned on dash goes out as does engine light..when cranking .,System works as it should.

5. All fuses tested with test light and all good.

6. Car cranks as it should and spits, almost diesels to the point of running..I even pulled the plugs twice and shot a bit of oil in each hole, cranked a bit then replaced the plugs after cleaning them and cranked again.. What i get is a bit of smoke coughing hard out of the exhaust........the car seems so close to starting, almost as if some water has found itself in the CAT or exhaust and is preventing it from running...i would be so grateful for any advice or clue where to go from here ........thanks....

Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, it is early and not much coffee.

You statement about water in the exhaust has me wondering. Can you jack up the front of the car, use the center front jack point. Do you get any water coming out of the tailpipe?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

PM's suggestion is a good one.

Also check your trans fluid to be sure it's not contaminated.

good luck

Old 08-01-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Ok, it is early and not much coffee.

You statement about water in the exhaust has me wondering. Can you jack up the front of the car, use the center front jack point. Do you get any water coming out of the tailpipe?
Ive had my head in the exhaust pipe to smell for raw gas (while my mechanic cranked) and its clear and blowing air so nope, its not clogged or smelling like nasty stale water.