General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think You Have an ECU Problem? Read This!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Default Think You Have an ECU Problem? Read This!

We have all been there...shot-gunnin parts. Like that? Probably not. If your like me and think your ECU might be failing or causing "Crazy Symptoms" then why not remove it and examine it like I did.

Get a Bright Light and a Magnifying Glass and it look over "CLOSELY" for the obvious failure. Do you see any Burned Joints, Toasted Resistors, Split Capacitors????

You see what I found by opening my 1995 Accord EX VTEC ECU.

Before you start "blasting away" with new parts, see what your dealing with first.........

Old 08-28-2012, 01:30 AM

ok, I'd agree to an extent

While its may be beneficial to check your ecu before tracing a problem down, it can also be a waste of time.

What most mechanics will do is track a problem down, if there is no CEL we will start with, then they will replace the general maintenance items that could cause the symptoms. These are items that (at the mileage of say 150-200k... probably whats on the car with this ecu^) should be or have been serviced by that time. If they are OEM (which again most at this millage are) then they will be "serviced" as long as the problem is not easily diagnosable as the ECu.

Most service techs (honda atleast) know that if there are not many "repeatable or normal" issues with the sensors or ECU, most are with hardware or switches. typically lights that point to a tps or CYP sensor are showing faults with something else electrical or mechanical.

just saying that techs work bottom up. And the ECU usually falls at the top of that list.

Last edited by Silver6gen; 08-28-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

And then you must be sure you have really solved the issue. IMHO, as an example many repeated failures of the TCU on the 4th gens is caused bad a poor connection on the shift/lock up solenoids.........add resistance to it and things burn up. On your 95, this could be age and that....if you get the same in a "bit" you might want to "TEST" the systems coming into the ECU.

TCU, board problem, Tranny - Honda-Tech

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...f-48908/page2/

Last edited by poorman212; 08-28-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I changed the filter and fuel pump and the car was running fine...But then I stopped hearing the fuel pump come on during ignition. Since the filter and pump were new ... I went and bought a used ECU....but the pump still does not come on and the car still does not start. It cranks and everything on the engine side is fine, just no fuel getting to the engine. Anyone know what's going on or has had similar problems?
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:59 AM

Ex Man - You need to check the MAIN Relay which is located under the dash near the steering column. It is rectangular in shape. This Main Relay sends the signal to the Fuel Pump when you turn the key to the On Position.

It can be the solder joints are suspect on this relay, which is fairly common, and they need to be touched up or re-soldered.

You can find a link on google or youtube about how to go about it.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The main relay is good everything on the engine side is good the ecu is good all fuses good. Still engine cranks but doesnt start. Fuel pump and filter changed about 1.5 years ago. Connection problem?

Old 06-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

How did you verify the main fuel relay is working?