General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three coils bad at once?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default Three coils bad at once?

I was sitting at a stop light last night and all of the sudden my 2001 Accord V6 started running rough. I got it into a shop today and the computer is showing a misfire on not one, not two, but three different cylinders (two on one bank and one on the other). When I felt it start missing it "felt" like one cylinder or maybe two, but three sounds pretty extreme.

The shop is thinking three coils went at once (having a hard time believing that). I've asked them to swap banks with the coils and then check to see of the computer codes follow the coils or continue to point to the first three cylinders.

Any other suggestions?

Old 04-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

I vaguely remember someone posting about misfires being reported on multiple cylinders, when it was actually only one coil that was bad. Sorry I don't remember more about that, like what the guy actually did to figure out which one to replace.

How about resetting, then see which cylinder reports misfiring first??

If you don't mind tinkering, then buy one new coil & install it in one of the misfiring cylinders. Don't throw out the old coil until you find the one place that fixes everything.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I vaguely remember someone posting about misfires being reported on multiple cylinders, when it was actually only one coil that was bad. Sorry I don't remember more about that, like what the guy actually did to figure out which one to replace.

How about resetting, then see which cylinder reports misfiring first??

If you don't mind tinkering, then buy one new coil & install it in one of the misfiring cylinders. Don't throw out the old coil until you find the one place that fixes everything.
Thanks Jim,

Three codes for one bad coil, yup, that seems to line up with what the shop is seeing. By pulling one coil at a time while the engine was running the shop has narrowed it down to cylinder #3. One bad coil I'll happily believe, three bad coils showing up in an instant would make me start looking elsewhere for an issue.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like you got it already......reading the first post I was with either "A" coil or an egr issue that had not thrown a 401 code yet.

And off topic, is that an F4 in your avatar?

Old 04-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
Looks like you got it already......reading the first post I was with either "A" coil or an egr issue that had not thrown a 401 code yet.

And off topic, is that an F4 in your avatar?
Got it all fixed, bad #3 coil; easily swapped out once properly diagnosed (no thanks to the OBD-II system).

Yup, that's an F4U Corsair, or more accurately, an FG-1A Goodyear Corsair. I took that shot from a sailboat off of Camden Harbor in Camden Maine back in something like 1997.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

I always liked the "gull wing" on those and makes me think about the black sheep.

Anyway, glad it was a somewhat easy fix and you are back in working order.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

FG's were built in my neck of the woods. One year they had an airshow at the former Goodyear airdock, invited Corsairs to attend. I think I have a photo of one that had a landing "mishap". About 4-inches of the prop blades were bent back from hitting the ground... :O

Old 04-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
FG's were built in my neck of the woods. One year they had an airshow at the former Goodyear airdock, invited Corsairs to attend. I think I have a photo of one that had a landing "mishap". About 4-inches of the prop blades were bent back from hitting the ground... :O
I've been fortunate to have three separate near encounters with Corsairs.
  • The sailboat incident off of Camden Harbor when a Corsair was practicing a mock straffing run on our boat prior to an airshow the next day at the Owls Head Transporation Museum in Rockland, ME (this was the day I captured the picture which is now my avatar).
  • The next day at said airshow; the guy I was up there to visit knew one of the pilots and got me inside the fence and right up next to the FG-1 as it was being fired up. Ain't nuthin like standing three feet away when an 18-cylinder, 2800 cubic inch, 2,000+ horsepower motor coughs, hacks, burps and farts itself to life.
  • A few years ago at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum (Addison, TX) when their FG-1D was being run up for the first time in five years following a full restoration due to a belly landing (failed oil line, fried Double Wasp). They rolled the Corsair out onto the ramp, chained that sucker down, fired it up, and did probably twenty minutes of run-ups to higher and higher power levels. I had my wife and kids with me, and we were able to stand maybe twenty feet off to the port side rear of the plane; quite a thrill.