General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Throttle cut-out - No warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Default Throttle cut-out - No warning lights

Car is a 2.2l CDTi Accord Tourer, 2006

A couple of weeks ago I developed a problem, that seemed to go away and is now back. It started when I was low on fuel and the fuel light was on, so I thought it might be related. As I was driving, I lost drive. The engine stayed running, but pressing the gas pedal did nothing. It just idled.

I pulled over and within seconds, I was able to rev again, so I continued to drive, but it happened again after a few hundred yards.

I limped to a garage and filled up. After that, it cut out a couple of times, then started straight away, before I came to a halt, so this is why I thought it was fuel related.

After the car had sat for a few hours, I went out that night, with no problem. The next day, I drove it on holiday - About 200 miles, again with no problem. I didn't use it while on holiday and I drove it back a week later with no problem.

A few hours after I got back, I went out and the problem occurred again, after about 10 miles. Each time, I had to stop for a few moments and it would allow me to rev again, but I could then only drive a few hundred yards. I left it for a few hours and it drove OK to a freind's house (2 miles) and to work the next morning (3 miles), but then the problem happened again on my way home, after about 10 miles. By the time the RAC came, it was OK again and made it another 5 miles before cutting out again.

The RAC seemed to think it may be because I hadn't had my fuel filter changed for a long time. A fiend of mine who works for the AA thought the same. I had that changed yesterday, but the problem has not gone away

I am thinking it might be more to do with the throttle, as it is just like someone flicking a switch and disabling it as I drive. Pressing the throttle simply does nothing. The engine idles, but I cannot mrev the engine. Then, after being stationary for a few seconds, the throttle pedal starts to work again

However, I would have expected this to trigger the engine management warning light??? It hasn't. The RAC plugged their diagnostic machine in and it showed no errors.

Has anyone got any ideas? I am worried, because I have very little money after my holiday last week and my car is my only way of getting to work, 15 miles away, so I am hoping it isn't expensive and likely to be off the road for long. Fingers crossed

Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 09-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There have been problems reported on late model Honda products involving the Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensor. I would have through there would be a fault code set.

Some googling might determine whether the system can detect APP faults readily or not.

good luck

Old 09-06-2013, 04:00 AM

The problem now seems to have randomly (and hopefully permanently) cleared.

I put it into an electro-diesel garage. They ran a dignotic on it, which shoewed nothing. They took it for a frive and it was fine.

Previously, it wouldn't go much more than about 15 minutes before going wrong. The garage drove it for 45 minutes without a problem. I then drove it home (About 40 minutes), went out last night (40 minutes there and back) and to work this morning (45 minutes) all without any sign of trouble.

Hopefully, changing the fuel filter did do the job after all, but needed to run a little before really having an effect. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the help