General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing belt - 03 accord exl/v6

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 02:41 PM
bobertmoto
Unregistered
Default Timing belt - 03 accord exl/v6

First of all greetings all im totally new here as this is my first post!

I just broke 100k on my 2003 accord and i've yet to change the timing belt on it. I've been shopping around for parts and have recieved conflicting information from my dad ( an old school GM mechanic who says "its a honda, just throw a new belt and pump on it and itll live foreverr!) and my local import guy who says put new everything in it while the things opened up.

So im at a loss. What all do i absolutely need?

so far ive come up with as essentials.

timing belt
accessory belt
water pump

then there's :

cam/crankshaft seals
tensioner
idler (s) ?
tensioner adjuster

also weighing OEM vs aftermarket? i'm looking at getting most of this stuff from http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/.

Your input is greatly greatly valued, muchos gracias amigos!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

All my experience is w/ 4-cylinders but parts are similar.

In addition to basics, I would suggest replacing the tensioner and idler pulleys. Reason is the bearings might not make 200K miles (next TB interval). I have seen dried crusty grease on the bearings near but beyond the second TB change on my vehicles, so waiting until 2nd change is cutting too close IMO. Additionally, these parts are not expensive.

Seals I don't replace unless there's some evidence of leakage. You could create the problem you're trying to prevent. Honda does not specify these as maintenance items.

If tensioner adjuster is hydraulic, it's an expensive item. I have reused this item (on Subaru Forester) by slowly (1/2 turn on C-clamp per 30 secs) compressing the hydraulic dampener/spring. If done too quickly you can rupture dampener seals.

I use a mix of OEM and aftermarket. You can't go wrong w/ OEM parts. They are high quality.

good luck

Old 02-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

for sure , replace the t-belt, water pump and the hydraulic tensioner ,, those 3 are a must contrary of what you might hear,, replace those 3 .. idlers , once removed spin them ., replace only if they make noise or if you have the extra money.....if seals do not leak, do not replace them,
make sure that you use Honda parts ..

Old 04-19-2009, 08:30 AM
rkpatt
Unregistered

On replacing the v6 hydraulic tensioner - I was told by a local Honda tech that they normally don't replace it on the y TB jobs unless they are signs of leaking when they remove them . However , he has seen them leak very rarely and recommended that I replace it ( about a $90 part ) if am plan to keep the car until the new TB change ("insurance") - another for 7 years / 105 k miles .

Texas Honda- Which OEM and aftermarket parts do you recommend for this job .

- Thanks

Last edited by rkpatt; 04-20-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would go OEM on tensioner. Idler's should be replaced since they have bearings same as tensioner. Bearing is what can fail catastrophically.

good luck

Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 AM
rkpatt
Unregistered

Thanks . This is helpful information for my upcoming v6 TB replacement project- I just ordered the crank pulley tool - http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648.../dp/B0000TMLWQ . I am getting my parts order together . I will be doing the valve adjustment shortly after the TB so I will or intake manifold gaskets and VC kit and spark plugs . Any good vendor suggestions ?

Last edited by rkpatt; 04-20-2009 at 07:47 AM.