General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Change. Is this what I need

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Default Timing Belt Change. Is this what I need

I got 100k on my motor and gonna change my timing belt. I found this kit on ebay. Is this all I need or is there a tensioner i need also?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...spagenameZWDVW

Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Default RE: Timing Belt Change. Is this what I need

ttt

Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 AM

You probably should go ahead and change the oil seals as well. Call a Honda dealer. They are only a few dollars each. Tell them you are doing a timing belt change and you need the seals. It looks like everything else is there in that kit. However, most on this sitewould strongly recommend you use only genuine Honda parts for the Timing belt and Water pump. I would strongly recommend you buy the timing belt and water pump from a dealer or from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com . Those are two parts that you do not want to fail on you.
Many people don't even change the tensioners when they do a timing belt change. They just check them and make sure they are still good. There are mixed opinions on this though, so if you would rather go ahead and change them to feel safer, then go ahead and do it while you are in there.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:04 AM

the tensioners in that kit is that what i need or is there a seperate tensioner. i know on the 3000gt i did it had a seperate hydraulic tensioner with it. does accords have anything like that

Old 10-01-2007, 10:16 AM

I'm not positive. Try looking in the DIY section or use the search function on the site. There are free online manuals for your car you can download....If you wouldsimply utilize ourDIY section.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

I think it's only some years of the H-series engine that has hydraulic tensioners? I've done '92 & '98 Accords (F-series) and neither one had a hydraulic tensioner. They're spring-loaded with a bolt that you tighten to lock them into a fixed position.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:56 AM

Someone just recently posted an EBay pic of a kit just like this one but with more parts including the cam, crank and balance shaft oil seals, valve cover gasket kit too, look it up, yes it will cost a little more and then see if HAMP is available on line in the USA, I have only seen a part one time so far on an American site similar to this FORUM and buy their parts if not a whole lot more than one of these CHEAP kits on EBay.

Honda After Market Parts, HAMP