General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt cover honda accord ex 1994

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation Timing belt cover honda accord ex 1994

I was wonder if it is possible to run my car without the timing belt cover? The reason I ask is because I had a so called "mechanic" work on my car, and he really screwed up the upper and lower cover. The upper cover, the back plate behind it, the bolt holes are cracked in half, and the lower cover doesn't look like it was put on right because the belts are cutting into the cover. So is it possible to remove the upper, and lower cover, install the harmonic balcer and etc back without the covers, and it run ok until I can buy replacement covers?

Old 06-14-2012, 10:59 AM

Yes, But I'd advise against it.
I’d require the mechanic to fix it since he screwed it up. These aren’t hard cars to work on… Is he a real mechanic or just a friend doing a favor?

The Covers keep out rocks, twigs and water that get thrown in there during normal driving conditions. Rocks especially can severely damage the belt reducing its life span and durability, and that is the last thing you want to worry about. Can you take some pictures? It would be good to see how bad it is and also for legal purposes if necessary.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:09 AM

i agree with Silver6gen removing the timing belt covers is a very bad idea and could cause severe damage if one of those ends up breaking because it got hit by something under normal conditions going down the road.

Also like Silver6gen said, pictures would help too so we can see the damage.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Pictures

Alright I have included pictures of the damage, the harmonic balancer is apparently chipped too. I am just needing something to keep the belts from rubbing on the cover for about 2-3 weeks until I can buy new covers. Then I will also buy new belts, a pump, and all that jazz all over again. I will probably buy some new valve cover bolts because, I think the guy didn't know what the hell he was doing obviously. And I couldn't get a pic of the harmonic balancer, I'll get one later today, there's just a big chunk taken out of the lip that holds the power steering belt on.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:45 PM

Take it back to the shop and ask them to fix the problem. they should offer to do it, and it should be at no cost to you. If the mechanic says “no” then ask for a complete refund, if he says no to that then call an attorney. You have proof that he f’d up if anything alert your insurance company they might go to bat for you since they want to be insuring a safe car.

I would do all of the above before touching it. Your belts will last until you can figure out what the next step is.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

For one the so called "Mechanic" wont fix it, he says that it came that way >_> Even though I know for a fact my timing belt covers did not have cracks in the back plate. There is much I can do about the so called mechanic because one, I'm poor, and two, I'm just needing to get temp fix, til I permantly fix it. And, I'm just not going to let anyone work on my car again, after it. But, nobody thinks that the belts are going to break or anything, or the harmonic balancer? Since the pully is rubbing on the cover, and so is the belts.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

My two cents.....find an e-clip that fits over the adjuster bolt - the one poking thru the cover, and put it on there. What happens is the seal that is suppose to be on that bolt that holds the cover "back" breaks and people do not replace it. Then the cover "bows" out and the belt starts to cut into it........~$2 fix IMO.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:57 AM

or if you have a pick-a-part near u go pull the covers out a car pay 10 bucks an fix it rite you dont want more problems than you already have

Old 06-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Good Idea

Thats a good idea. I'll go to pick a part, and grab all the used parts to fix the cover. And I'll but the seals new. Thanks guys. ^_^ I can't believe I never thought about going to pick-a-part lol.