General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Makes Whining Noise When Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 02:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by hmr
I reported the whining noise coming from within the timing belt cover. Quite noticeable when accelerating. The mechanic says that the whining noise is caused by the timing belt being too tight. He needs to adjust the tensioner which he'll do later this week. How long should it take him to do this ? Thanks !
On average it could be as little as 15 minutes, or as long as an hour. It really depends on whether he can access the tensioner nut.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:39 PM
hmr

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
On average it could be as little as 15 minutes, or as long as an hour. It really depends on whether he can access the tensioner nut.
Thanks. It took him an hour. Couldn't see much but the left front tire was removed. Components in the left front engine area were removed with the car up and down on the hoist a couple of times.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:30 PM

Could it be the belt tensioner? I've read posts about that causing the whining noise. I too have the same sort of thing - at first it kind of bothered me, but I've grown to not have a problem with it. At some point I might address it after I do some more research. Can anyone comment on the tensioner, or have prior experience with that being a problem? There's a good youtube video on replacing it.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:38 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by NMinop
Could it be the belt tensioner? I've read posts about that causing the whining noise. I too have the same sort of thing - at first it kind of bothered me, but I've grown to not have a problem with it. At some point I might address it after I do some more research. Can anyone comment on the tensioner, or have prior experience with that being a problem? There's a good youtube video on replacing it.
I replace the tensioner when I do the timing belts. That way I know it should be good. Some people just replace the belts and re-use the tensioner. It can be done either way. Honda recommends replacing the tensioner and spring and the water pump when doing the timing belts. I also add the balance shaft retainer clip while I'm in there now. I only say that, as I've had the balance shaft seal push out, and dump almost 3 quarts of oil in 30 feet at idle before (on my wife's Accord).