General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt & Oil Engine Lamp

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Timing Belt & Oil Engine Lamp

Oil is drawn into the air duct when the PCV is not pulling. Check PCV and PCV hose for blockage. Replace PCV.

This should not affect oil pressure.

I've removed the exhaust before and it was not a problem. Long extensions allow bolts to be reached from below. Apply generous blast of PB Blaster or similar and allow to soak. It may help to warm the engine for 3-5 minutes before loosening.

good luck

Old 02-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

It's a good sign that the oil lamp doesn't come back on.
It's a bad sign that there's so much oil into the intake duct.
It's too early to know the real fate of your engine.

Exhaust bolts can be easy or really difficult. Depends on the state of corrosion, & I can't see it from here. No real special tools, but a few different socket extensions can help you reach some of the bolts.

Running the engine withoutenough oil pressure can damage the cylinder walls. This leads to more blowby of combustion gas past the rings. That would lead to oily air blowing through the vent into the intake duct. OTOH, a plugged PCV valve can do the same thing & it's very cheap to replace. Get a new PCV valve & cross your fingers...

I wouldn't worry about the rough idle (yet). Deal with all the other issues & maybe they're causing the idle trouble.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

no real way to know if they are blocked without pulling the valve cover etc.... Run some seafoam through the oil, fuel and engine to clean up a lot of that gunk (write-up in DIY section on sea foam)
Where is that write up? Is it in the main one or the requests section? I can't seem to ever find it.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:44 PM

Hello Everyone,

Thought I'd give you guys an update on what I've done according to your advice.

First things first ... I chickened out on removing the exhaust bolts [&o] so I didn't drop
the oil pan. However I did the following.

PCV - Replaced New (old one was clogged)
Thermostat - Replaced New (old one was not opening) This solved radiator fan not kicking in when engine warms up.
Breather Hose (from valve cover)- Was almost completely clogged. So I unclogged it all the way to the intake duct.
FITV - Removed and followed 94Honda post in the Do-It-Yourself Section called "Troubleshooting idle probs" found at this link https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/Tro...m_95855/tm.htm
IACV - Adjusted idle and reset the ECU by following same post by 94Honda called "Troubleshooting idle probs"
I had trouble removing the two rear bolts holding the IACV to check if it's screen is clogged or otherwise obstructed by debris, so I skipped this part. However I will get back to doing this to check for blockage.

I replaced the spark plugs, and noticed that the spark plug tubes had a tiny bit of oil begining to enter. So I removed the valve cover again cleaned off oil every well from cover and the seat of spark plug tube, and replaced those gaskets with new ones. I also replaced the valve cover gromment washers because they were in poor shape.

I also changed oil and filter and added a 12oz bottle of Auto-RX, and will follow their "Heavy Sludge Application".
Today I drove car for the first time after doing all this, however only a 10 mile distance. Car ran very well, the oil lamp did not turn. Also the car ran so smoothly, can't remember it running like this in a long time. The engine idles nice and is steady now at traffic lights, and when parked.

Now I have to cross my fingers, and hopes this continues.

I want to thank everyone who helped me, TexasHonda, sir_nasty, JimBlake, Tony1M, HondatechAV6, PAHonda because I sure needed it!! I was clueless!!

Also thanks to Deserthonda and 94Honda because I also used their posts to guide me.

I'll give updates to let you know it's progress.