General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Rotation and tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by finch13
Likely overtightened them, which can case rotor warpage and broken studs.

I know if I tighten with the wrench I can easily do 100 lb. ft., when the torque specs is really 80 lb. ft. Tighten the bolts evenly until the wrench stops, then give each of them an extra 30-45* of rotation on the lug.

You can get a lever-type torque wrench for like $30 at Sears. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4978000P?mv=rr
Probably.. I think they were already overtightened as i had to stand on the wrench to free the lugs...

The wrench goes to 75 lbs but the lugs are supposed to be 80. Does it matter, or do i just turn it a but more than the 75?

Old 04-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

For similar price you should be able to find a wrench with higher range. Mine goes to something like 120 lbf*ft. Then I have a smaller one in 3/8-drive for lower-torque stuff.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Similar question,

I have put on about 22,000 miles on my tires. I got them in January of 2009. It is June 2010. I got the car serviced last month. The dealership put the tire tread as "7 32nds", and they got the green check mark next to them.

Should I rotate these things? I opted out of somethings, and I can't recall if tire rotation is one of them. And if I rotate them myself, should I do it the criss-cross way? Front Left to Rear Right and Front Right to Rear Left? I believe this is how i learned it in autos.

I also plan on buying winter only tires for the winter. I'm a neurotic safety freak, and only feel as ease with them. I've gone on Tirerack.com and looked at someone of them. The reviews from the users/owners seem to be great, and I'll be picking up four of these before the snow falls. I'm not sure on the brand. If they go from November until February or March, how long do you expect I can hold onto these for?

Also, how would I store the tires? We have large plastic bags, and I was thinking of sucking the air out of them.

Thanks.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a big fan of real snow tires too. It's amazing how much better they are in snow compared to all-season tires.

For lots of money, TireRack has some really neat storage stuff for tires, but I've got a big shelf in the garage where I can stack them. I don't do anything strange like suck the air out of plastic bags. TireRack will ship them with cardboard disks, I just lay them on top of the stack to keep dirt off.

I rotate my tires every time I change oil. If you have directional tires you're stuck with staying on the same side. Otherwise rotate them like this...
R-R goes to L-F
L-F goes to L-R
L-R goes to R-F
R-F goes to R-R
If you rotate them yourself, it's a great opportunity to take a good look at your brakes & drive axles & balljoints.

Tire lifespan depends on too many things, especially your own right foot. Snow tires don't have real long treadlife in miles but they go bad just from age anyway. You probably don't want to keep them more than maybe 5 years.

Last edited by JimBlake; 06-06-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

How can I tell if I have directional tires or not? I was poking around on google, but besides "symbols and triangles", I didn't get much of an objective indicator of how I would determine if I have directional tires.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

There is an arrow on the sidewall. I like BF Goodrich TAs. On my 2003 Accord I had the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred which did everything well except the rain part of the tread wore out quickly and the car hydroplaned. I went with Michelin' Primacy MXV4 this time but they don’t handle as well but have a very soft ride. I have the TA’s on my 95 Accord and wish I went with them on my 2003.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Usually the shape of the tread pattern is a clue - like chevrons or arrows.

But the real thing is look over the entire sidewall, both sides, for an arrow that says "rotation" or something like that. Sometimes they incorporate it into the logos or otherwise make it kinda subtle.

Check this out.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=180

Here's one that's directional.