General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

too much oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Default too much oil

i changed my oil and just checked it again , now it seems a little high. its a little above the top fill mark on the dipstick. is this a problem what can it do to the engine if its too much ?

Old 11-23-2007, 02:03 AM
Default RE: too much oil

Most immediete problem off way too much oil is the crankshaft counterbalence weights will slam into the excess oil. A little above full is usually ok, if your engine is burning oil, I have noticed oil users tend to overfill so they dont need to put oil in as often, I personally have not seen any problems, just dont go over too far.

Now realise that the dipstick is designed to show oil up to the full mark as the oil pan is designed to a specific shape at the full level, anything over full could rise up into the bottom of the engine quickly due to the shape of the upper portion on the pan and the lower portion of the engine block making a little overfull seem way overfull so beware of overfilling. BE MORE AWARE OF LOW OIL LEVEL.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:04 PM

a rising oil level = coolant entering the crankcase through a bad head gasket...

however, that would cause other problems like...overheating...loss of coolant, etc. a lot of engine oil rests in the valve train when you change the oil. so adding the full spec usually results in a little more or less oil on the dip stick. changing the oil after the vehicle is fully warmed up is recommended as well.

too high anoil level= higher pressure in the engine and can blow seals, especially the balancer shaft seal. but if it's not 5-10mm above the upper hash mark you don't have to worry. the amount of oil between teh two hash marks is only 1/2 qt of engine oil.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

How much oil did you put in when you changed it ?? when you checked it,, was car on a level ground ??