General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Default Transmission Filter?

I need to take my 2003 Accord EX, 4dr, 5 spd AT, in for a windshield wiper motor recall. I have been toying with the idea of getting my transmission fluid and filter changed at the same time. I have 77K on the vehicle with no maintenance on the tranny so far and no problems.

1. I've been told over many years, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", when it comes to AT's. I've seen other flushes and such on other vehicles, and they seem to develope problems sometime after the maintenance. What's the general opinion out there?

2. Does my transmission have a filter in there. I can do this stuff myself, but haven't seen a AT filter offered anywhere for this car. Maybe there's just an easy to get plug to drain and refill? (wishful thinking)

My brother's crazy about this stuff and seems disappointed that his AT hasn't fallen out of the car yet. He's starting to make me feel guilty about not doing AT maintenance.

Larry in Cincinnati

Old 01-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Transmission Filter?

1. Honda trannies should not be flushed, unless the dealer does it. Problems occur because most flushing machines reverse their flow at somepoint and it clogs up alot of the passages in the transmission.

2. Your transmission does have a filter, however its not serviceable to my knowledge.

3. A drain and refill is probably your best option and you can do it yourself. All you have to do is take out the dipstick and then use a 3/8" drive ratchet on the drain plug in the passenger side wheel well. Since its been 77k since the fluid was last changed Id recommend draining and filling it 3x to get all of the old fluid out, which can get pricey when the fluid is between $6-8/quart at the dealership, so thats about $18-24 each change.

The draining/refilling would go like this:

Number 1
- Drain
- Fill
- Drive 10 miles

Number 2
- Drain
- Fill
- Drive 10 miles

Number 3
- Drain
- Fill
- Drive until the next service interval (I believe its upwards of 60-90-120k, somewhere up there)

Look in the maintenance section of the manual to find the interval, I was paging through my Grandpas 2005 Accord manual and I had trouble finding it, but I think its in the 90-120k mile range, much higher than the 30k on the older auto transmissions.