General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission fluid leak on 2000 accord

Old 02-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Default Transmission fluid leak on 2000 accord

Hello, sorry this is all new to me don't know if I even posted correctly.

I have a 2000 Honda accord ex automatic I bought in July '12 with 60k miles about 2 weeks after I got it the check engine light came on and d4 light blinked came on here and found out it was the transmission long story short took it back to the dealer (not a Honda dealer) and they fixed everything got it back a week later running great no problems til now... Now there's a leak, my boyfriend says its transmission fluid it's a very small leak he looked under the car sys it seems to be leaking from where the srews are. Sorry this is all the info I have, just need some advice on what it could be. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

The location of the leak may help identify the source. The actual source of the leak may not be near where it is dripping.

Try to give us a better description.

The other important thing is to check the transmission fluid level and add fluid when necessary. Your owner's manual will tell you how to check the transmission fluid.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Is it a 4-cyl or V-6? Those are completely different from each other.

You got it from a non-Honda dealer? Maybe they did a "power-flush" on the transmission? Honda automatic transmissions don't like power-flushing and they don't like non-Honda transmission fluid.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 AM

I will try and give a better description this evening, and the fluid level is normal, thanks.

It's a v6 3.0 vtec ( sorry forgot to mention that) and I'm not sure what they did they pretty much just told me it was fixed and I drove away I didn't get any receipts or anything because I didn't pay anything. One last question Jim Blake if we drain that transmission fluid and put in Honda transmission fluid do you think it might solve the problem? Thanks for your help.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

It might work to change the fluid...

When you drain it, the torque converter doesn't drain. You can only drain about 1/3 of the total fluid. So you need to drain/fill about 3 times; drive it around in between to mix the fluid. Figure a bit less than 3 quarts of fluid each time.

But re-reading your original post... Does the transmission work OK now? Is it only the leak? Does the D4 lamp still flash? Depending on these things, don't panic about the fluid yet.

Last edited by JimBlake; 02-27-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 AM

The transmission seems to be working fine, non of the gear lights blink and it shifts smooth while driving. As far as I know it's only the leak, its a small leak all night it leaves a spot about 2in in diameter but I would like to try and fix it now because I heard it can get very pricy. In your opinion should I stop driving the car? Any other advise you can give me is very appreciate.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Location of the leak? If it's leaking from (for example) the drain plug, then it's pretty simple. Get a new crush-washer for that drain plug bolt. I'm sure it won't hurt to change the ATF once, but use Honda fluid.