General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Flush? '93 accord LX 126k miles.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:22 PM
staunch1
Unregistered
Default Transmission Flush? '93 accord LX 126k miles.

I have the same story as many others. I went in foran oil change andwas told I needed a tranny flush because the fluid was dirty. They said it would cost $240 and needed synthetic. This place I went tohad good reviews and don't think they are trying to stick it to me but everything I have read says NOT to do a tranny flush. I obviously do not want to pay $240 (which seems high in comparison anyways). I am by no means able to do a drain myself as easy as it may be. Should I just tell a shop that I ONLYwant the tranny fluid drained and replaced with new fluid? The car was given to me and, I am pretty certain, had never had any tranny maintenance ever done to it but the same mechanic had looked after the car from day one until it was given to me. Any ideas? Again, its an automatic '93 accord LX with 126k miles.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Transmission Flush? '93 accord LX 126k miles.

That price is steep for a tanny flush,which an experienced honda tech knows flushing a honda tranny is frowned upon.
In comparison to an oil change,the tranny fluid change is fairly easy,and a good DIY. If i were you i would take it to a few shops,to get un biased quotes and opinions.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:45 PM
staunch1
Unregistered

Seemed steep to me too. Even if its an easy DIY I'd rather pay a few bucks and have someone just drain and refill for me. I am just wondering if shops will hassle me or refuse to do that because they'd rather have me pay for a flush.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:21 PM

If it's a GOOD shop they should do as you ask them, and it shouldn't cost any more than an oil change. I changed my oil AND my ATF today in about 20 min. The transmission fluid is actually easier than the oil as on the transmission you don't have the extra step of replacing the filter.

You unscrew the drain plug and oil fluid runs out, you put the drain plug back in, and you pour the new fluid in. It IS that easy. The only remotely irritatating thing about the transmission is measuring how much came out so you know how much to put back in.........

DO NOT flush it. Get a drain and fill on your transmission each time you get your oil changed for the next 3 times. That will dilute the fluid a little each time until you have mostly newer fluid in there, and you don't risk killing your tranny with a flush.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

not to tough to know how much to put in;

3 quarts.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 AM

My vehicles seemto vary a bit on how much comes out. yesterday I drained a little over 2 1/2 quart so I put that much inand had to top it off with another 1/4 quart to get it where it was supposed to be on the dipstick (and yes, it was where it should be before I drained).

Have the same thing with my wife's 4 runner. Takes anywhere from 4 to 4.5 quarts per drain/fill. Probably depends on how level I have the car when I drain.