General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission not smooth at all

Old 04-08-2008, 07:27 AM
hdansjr
Unregistered
Default Transmission not smooth at all

I have a 2008 Accord. When i'm accelerating the transmission doesn't shift smoothly at all. It's quite a hard shift that all riders in the car can feel(if that makes sense). I took it and had it looked at by the service dept where I purchased the car, (only after 400 miles) and I was told that its' the same transmission as they have in their vans, and that is expected of that transmission. I've brought this to their attention at my last oil change and was once again told it's expected. Is this true? does anyone know about any issue such as this?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Default RE: Transmission not smooth at all

Having never driven an 08 I can't say a whole lot but this is the first issue I've heard of.... Perhaps try driving another 08 and see if it's the same.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:33 PM

I also agree with sir_nasty, go test drive another accord. one that has been sitting for awhile.
compare it.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:33 PM
KMN
Unregistered

I have found the same thing with my 2008 EXL V6.The shifting is very noticable to me and the dealership did not find it to be a problem. I have an appointment next week and I am going to drive one off the floor to see if it is only my problem or all of them.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:39 PM

My god! Has honda forgot how to make a quality automatic transmission? Please keep us up to date with your dilemma.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:46 AM

Hmmm, Feels pretty smooth to me. Slush box feel? No.
But then again, I'm used to driving mid 80's vintage GM iron. [sm=gears.gif]

Old 04-09-2008, 10:42 AM

I've got 5,000 miles on my EX-L V6 now and I do recall being mildly concerned about feeling the transmission shifting and the VCM activating/deactivating the first few times I drove the car.

Did it smooth out with break-in or did I just get used to it? Maybe a bit of both.

I'm not really sure but, I'm very satisfied now.

Maybe if you give it a little more time, you'll be happier with it.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:07 AM
hdansjr
Unregistered

I ws very worried when i first had the car, thats why i took it in with just 400 miles on it, now i've got almost 6000. I have had the car since the middle of October of 07, so i feel that it's had ample time to "break-in". i probably will try to test drive another 08, but the problem is, there's not another dealership for close to an hour from the one i purchased this one at. I hate going in there and trying to test drive one, while that's the vehicle I go there in, plus the salesman will recognize me. A friend suggested I go to the local transmission shop and get it looked at there with a printout of what's wrong if they find soemthing. I guess i could do that, but that's like 80 bucks for a diagnosis, when the service dept should their job at the dealership. BUt then again, they did diagnose it and they stated there was nothing wrong with it! ugh. I can say this is the first and last Honda I will ever buy.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:07 PM

It is absolutely the dealer's responsibility to identify and repair the problem. There's no excuse for transmission problems in a new car.

I would try going back to the selling dealer and insisting that they test drive the car with you so you can point out the problem.

If the dealer doesn't want to comply, contact American Honda.

I hope you can getthis resolved quickly.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: hdansjr

I ws very worried when i first had the car, thats why i took it in with just 400 miles on it, now i've got almost 6000. I have had the car since the middle of October of 07, so i feel that it's had ample time to "break-in". i probably will try to test drive another 08, but the problem is, there's not another dealership for close to an hour from the one i purchased this one at. I hate going in there and trying to test drive one, while that's the vehicle I go there in, plus the salesman will recognize me. A friend suggested I go to the local transmission shop and get it looked at there with a printout of what's wrong if they find soemthing. I guess i could do that, but that's like 80 bucks for a diagnosis, when the service dept should their job at the dealership. BUt then again, they did diagnose it and they stated there was nothing wrong with it! ugh. I can say this is the first and last Honda I will ever buy.
Until you determine if it's an issue or just a harsh tranny there is nothing to be worried about. I'd simply go in there and tell them that you're concenered about it and just want to test drive one real quick to see if it's the same. Explain that if it's the same you'll leave it be but if not then you want it fixed, if they aren't willing to do that I'd call Honda of America and complain about the dealer, it's not neccessarily a bum honda you have....