General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission and o2 issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Default transmission and o2 issue

Whats up! Ive got a 92 ex auto with an a6.

Just replaced rear crossmember (the one the control arms bolt into) and head gasket. Also rear mount, some other things.

Well she was runnin real rough throwin o2 code at me, and now shes throwin tcu code 15, its always idled little high, cause of ripped rear mount, but now its like 2500-3000.

Just fixed o2 issue before repair. Got a Bosch and sprayed upper connecter with electric parts cleaner, then it worked. So ive been doin that after repair and it worked once, now is doin the super idle thing and throwin o2 code again with the tcm 15.

I pulled shift cable from console and set aside for crossmember replacement. Could that have caused this issue? Also the cable wont adjust properly. Its like the bolt coming from the shifter with the adjuster on it is to long, I have to keep between 3and 4 for d4 to engage. Any suggestions?

Please and thankyou!

Old 04-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

code 15 is speed sensor or trans mechanical problem

O2 sensor won't cause a high idle situation

a bad rear mount won't cause a high idle either unless it was adversely affecting the throttle cable linkage (that's pretty severe)

need to get the cable adjusted correctly first.

hard to say what was left disconnected or connected improperly after a head gasket job. who did the work???

Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

One way for a bad rear mount to affect idle is by a vacuum leak.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 PM

I did the work, first head gasket.:-) white smoke gone. im just wondering if the cable is messed up in the tranny. since I only disco from the shifter, dont know how it hooks in the tranny, but somethin probly happened in there cause my cable is acting like its to long. I should of worded the mount/idle better. I left the idle at 1300, how I got it, because of profuse shaking when turned down. Figured it was the mount being ripped in half. Im thinkin rough from o2, high idle from speed sensor. I just think it has something to do with the cable. Thanks for reply's, I love this car fixing comunity thing.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:55 PM

So anyone know if the cable could of done something its not supposed to in the tranny?

Also my Axle fell out while wheel assemblies were dissasembled. that was the first time I removed and installed an axle, could I have done something wrong there to cause this? It seemed pretty sraight forward. Especially after watching Eric the car guy on youtube

Old 04-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

High idle indicates a large intake air leak, PCV, brake booster line, etc. Check all work carefully.

good luck

Old 04-04-2013, 01:31 PM

So I just reset ecu, idle back to normal, (1300). unplugged shift cable from shifter, and moved cable manually while moving shifter. Had no probs.

So im bout to open tranny case and see if I can adjust down there. Once I fix this, I should b able to bring idle to 750 w/o profuse shaking.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 PM

Okay, so I ended up shaving the adjust bolt down with a dremel, made it shift proper, cleared codes, took for a spin.

Not showing codes, running much smoother, o2 is fine now, musta just been dirty connection, nothin some electric cleaner couldn't handle.

But its idling in nuetral at 2500. Could the speed sensor be causing this? Even though im not getting that code anymore.

I know its not an air intake leak, cause it was okay the first few times after head gasket, and I took that whole thing out to clean egr before, I know thats all goodnsnug.

Thanks for the responses

Old 04-04-2013, 06:26 PM

So I checked the air, everything on and near, its all conected, felt for holes or leaks and nothin.

Its got to be a sensor, cause it worked once today. And for the first few days after gasket replace. im just guessing speed sensor cause thats what code tha tranny was throwin. But how would a sensor just go? During everything else. Thats what I dont understand.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:13 PM

wow, i feel like a tard

i was really hoping i wouldnt have to write a post that started that way.

the screw keeping the butterfly open was way up. which i thought i checked. and fitv gaskets needed replacing. now its good.

but im trying to adjust base idle and when i unplug iacv the car dies

Quick Reply: transmission and o2 issue