General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission slipping... time to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:36 PM
98SilverEX
Unregistered
Default Transmission slipping... time to replace?

Hey everyone... I just signed up as I recently inherited a 98 Accord EX to use for commuting instead of my gas guzzling Dodge Ram!

The tranny in this car feels like it may be in the early stages of failing. When applying anymore than 1/4 throttle the tranny slips slightly when shifting from 1st to 2nd. It does not have any issues going in or out of any other gears. In fact when I am in OD I can put it to the rug, it downshifts one gear and takes off with no issues.

I know there are some solenoids on the tranny so I was wondering if anyone knew what the function of one of these solenoids is.

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Transmission slipping... time to replace?

If a solenoid is bad, the trans should set a code. Does the D4 light flash or is Check Engine Light on? Codes will provide best clue to problem. In earlier models some trans codes did not cause the D4 light to blink, so would be a good idea to check trans codes in any case. See DIY section for shorting Service Check Connector under glove box, and read the flashing D4 light for the codes; long flash for 10's digit and short flash for units (so F-f = 11).

good luck

Old 08-17-2008, 09:01 AM
98SilverEX
Unregistered

Yes the engine light is on. I let a buddy of mine borrow my scan tool. I am going to check out that thread to short the service connector and see what the code(s) are. I will post back once I have them. Thanks for the tip!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:33 AM
98SilverEX
Unregistered

I just looked through the DIY section. There were a couple threads that seemed to be dead links but it may be my connection. However, I was unable to find where and how to jump the service check connector. I found a slew of other good information. Would someone be kind enough to direct me to the thread where it talks about this?

thanks!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:24 PM

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/HON...m_15108/tm.htm

This is the link to find the external links.

good luck

Old 08-17-2008, 07:34 PM
98SilverEX
Unregistered

I pulled the code and the blink patternsis 9 (P1381 or P1382)which doesnt have anything to do with the tranny. They are both cylinder position sensor related. However, I found another thread online where it says there are a series of tranny related codes that you must have an OBD II scanner to get. Tomorrow I am getting my scanner back so I will check then.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:10 PM

A trans code should cause Obd1 code 70 (7 long blinks). This indicates one or more of the OBD2 codes is present.

You should consider replacing the hydraulic pump inlet filter (under the drain pan usually), and draining/replacing the trans fluid w/ OEM Honda trans fluid. Occasionally this simple maintenance will make a big difference. This is true for both 4-cyl and V-6. You should put details of your Accord in your signature line.

A slight flare in rpm when shifting from 1st-2nd is not usually an indicator of imminent failure. I drove my 90 Accord EX w/ that symptom for years before selling. It would only flare under heavy throttle however. Yours sounds a bit worse. If you slightly reduce throttle near shift point you can avoid the flare. Not very satisfying, but may nurse your car along for several years.

good luck

Old 08-17-2008, 10:07 PM
98SilverEX
Unregistered

Is there more than one filter when you drop the pan?

Would you have the tranny flushed completely or just fill what is lost when dropping the pan?

Old 08-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

There is no pan. Drain plug in the case, facing towards the right side of the car, about a foot forward from the wheel. It has a square hole for a 3/8 socket extension without a socket.

Just drain & fill, maybe multiple times with driving between. Honda auto trannys dont seem to get along very wellwith power flushing.

Use genuine Honda ATF, not Dexron.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:54 PM

Parts list show a filter somewhere. If no pan maybe it's external. If internal w/o a pan, it's not serviceable.

good luck