General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble Shooting Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 AM
Default Trouble Shooting Engine Noise

Hi All,

First time poster on the forum, having some trouble and thought this may be the best route.

I have a 2007 Honda Accord EX Coupe, 4Cyl VTEC 95k Miles. I have experience on this car and do the majority of my own work(Oil, Rotors/Pads, Plugs, Intake(K&N), Exhaust(A'pexi), Headers(DC), and more), but this task I may not want to tackle without some advice.

There is a clinking noise coming from the engine, right above the VTEC engine cover. This noise is very apparent but only when on a cold start and is not there when warmed up and driving.

I am thinking I need to get a manual and readjust the valve clearance, but does anyone know if it could be something else, and if this is a task that a professional should undertake and not me in my garage?

Please let me know if there needs to be any clarification of sorts.

Thank you for your time!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

You may want to search around. I think there was technical service bulletin on rattling from the actuator of the vtec. You may want to send Redbull-1 a message and ask him to comment on this thread.

I also think there may have been some youtube videos out there trying to identify this rattling sound.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

I'd def check the valve lash. A manual will help with this.

Be sure the oil is full, if getting close to change I would go ahead with that as well.

Most of the actuator issues were/are on the 8th gen Accords.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 AM

First, thank you for the comments.

I changed the oil myself yesterday and the noise did not seem to get any quieter or louder, just stayed the same.

As for checking the valve lash, has anyone done this on a 4cyl 2007 honda accord? I'm sure a manual will help, but just curious to see if anyone has some first-hand experience on the issue.

I will also keep the actuator in mind and contact Redbull-1.

Thanks again for reading/responding!

Old 01-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

it's pretty straight forward, i'd get a valve cover gasket set and you may want to get a valve adjustment tool as well as feeler gages.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have first hand experience with a 6th gen....but looking at the procedure it isn't that much different than all of the other honda's I have done it on.

Basic things....engine should be cold - I usually plan this for a morning type of thing. You'll need to pull the Valve Cover and upper timing cover - do you need a gaket.....also when where the plugs last changed. Set the engine to TDC - easy to do if the plugs are out of the engine, hence why not put new ones in if the ones in there are old. Check this cyl....then rotate the engine X amount so "these line up"....check this cyl.....until done.

I usually check each cyl and if any adjustment is needed, I will then spin the motor over a few times (again by hand) and then re-check all four again.

You can look at automanualsource dot com for a manual....I've been happy with the ones they sell. It was around $22 for a download - need decent internet speed - or $27 for a CD shipped.

EDIT: and the Dr posted as I was typing .....thanks

Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Although the 7th gen Accord 4 cylinder does have a VTC actuator, it was more a problem that afflicted some 8th gen (e.g., 2008, 2009, 2010, etc.) Accord 4 cylinders.

Here is the TSB:
Honda TSB 09-010

The TSB also has a sound clip.

You may want to check the valve lash as others have already posted, the VTC actuator replacement is a bigger job.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 AM

Thank you everyone for all of the informative posts. In the process of getting a manual and going to be adjusting valve lash.

As for it possibly being the acutator I highly doubt it due to the fact that it does not match the symptoms from Redbull-1's pdf file (thank you for posting that, very helpful).

Again thanks everyone for you're time and comments. Greatly appreciated!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 PM

For anyone that may have this issue aswell, I found the solution.

I changed the spark plugs with the OEM NGK Iridium plugs and slapped on a new serpentine belt. The noise completely went away and my car went from starting idle when cold of 1500rpm to 1200rpm. I did not even have to adjust valve lash.

I am still at 95k miles, so in about 10k I will adjust the lash regardless.

Enjoy!