General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T'shooting Transmission Solenoid Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default T'shooting Transmission Solenoid Assembly

2000 Accord V6
148k miles

I’m working through the A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve A/B Assembly test procedure listing in the Honda Service Manual (HSM), followed by the Lock-up Control Solenoid Valve - Shift Control Solenoid Valve A Assembly test. My question concerns resistance readings on one of the assemblies.

HSM lists normal resistance for both assemblies. The resistance on the lock-up control solenoid valve is well within the acceptable range. However, resistance of the a/t clutch pressure control solenoid valve a/b is ~6Ω on both solenoids—HSM says it should be 5Ω.

I interpret ~6Ω resistance across both solenoids in the a/t clutch pressure control solenoid valve a/b assembly as high, and I was about to order a replacement. But it’s only ~1Ω over spec and I’d hate to order a part that doesn’t require replacement.

Thought? Opinions?

Last edited by lothian; 12-07-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

What issues are you having with the a/t?

Please provide us with some information about your vehicle.

Resistance is a good check for severe issues like very high resistance or very low resistance. You volt meter sends a very low current through the solenoid to get the reading. The increase in resistance may be normal with use over time. A better test is to unplug the solenoid and supply 12V to each solenoid and listen for a click. This provides higher current load and may indicate a problem.

Sometimes the solenoids can get clutch material that will clog the solenoid or the screen that will restrict transmission fluid flow. Cleaning with something safe on electronics like throttle body cleaner may clear up an issue.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm working thru the HSM t'shoot'g procedure for a p0780. That process involves two tests--resistance check, and direct 12v solenoid actuation--against both solenoids I mention above to determine if the electronics are sub-par. In my case, the assemblies test as good. I did find clutch detritus in one of the tubes within the A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve A/B Assembly, and some gunk in the Lock-up Control Solenoid Valve. I cleared both, of course. Obviously I cannot clear the passages and orifices inside the transmission case. Clearing accessible screens offers potential, albeit temporary, delay from the eventuality that this transmission will need to be replaced.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by lothian
I'm working thru the HSM t'shoot'g procedure for a p0780. That process involves two tests--resistance check, and direct 12v solenoid actuation--against both solenoids I mention above to determine if the electronics are sub-par. In my case, the assemblies test as good. I did find clutch detritus in one of the tubes within the A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve A/B Assembly, and some gunk in the Lock-up Control Solenoid Valve. I cleared both, of course. Obviously I cannot clear the passages and orifices inside the transmission case. Clearing accessible screens offers potential, albeit temporary, delay from the eventuality that this transmission will need to be replaced.
Well, since this is a V6 AT, it's supposed to let go anywhere from 70K to 250K miles. At this point I'd work on saving up for the eventual trans replacement. Keep in mind that Honda used 2 V6 automatics from 98 thru 02. The break is 98-99, and 00-02, so you'll need an 00-02 replacement trans according to the FSM. Note; this split also applies to the 4 cylinder Automatics as well.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
...Honda used [two different] V6 automatics from 98 thru 02.
Good information.

ATRA pairs the 2000 V6 3.0L with a B7XA transmission, and does not list the distinction you claim. Do you recall the transmission identifier for the 98-99? I'll investigate further on my end, though there was never any question in my mind about replacing the (original) transmission with its clone; ie., identical build year and type. Still, you've provided me an additional point to verify when I go transmission shopping.

Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by lothian; 12-08-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by lothian
Good information.

ATRA pairs the 2000 V6 3.0L with a B7XA transmission, and does not list the distinction you claim. Do you recall the transmission identifier for the 98-99? I'll investigate further on my end, though there was never any question in my mind about replacing the (original) transmission with its clone; ie., identical build year and type. Still, you've provided me an additional point to verify when I go transmission shopping.

Thanks for the heads up.
No, as it's only called out in the transmission section, and my FSM only covers the 4 cylinder cars, which is what I own (it's called out in it too).
You might want to have a look at this PDF, as it's the V6 supplement. http://www.gvrdeu.org/Honda%20FSM/Ac...0SM%20Supp.pdf
In the AT section it's called out. The big difference between the 98-99 and the 00-02 is the electronics inside the trans itself.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm not certain what you're refer to regarding "electronics inside the trans itself". There are no electronic devices inside the B7XA transmission. All transmission electronic doodads (solenoids, pressure sensors, and switches, etc) are mounted externally. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Last edited by lothian; 01-17-2019 at 07:01 PM.