General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Turn signal won't go back to neutral w/o help.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Default Turn signal won't go back to neutral w/o help.

Last weekend I replaced my combination switch of my 1989 Honda Accord Lxi. The part that I replaced it with isn’t new, but was a used part. Replacing it was pretty simple to my surprise. After it was replaced, I checked to see if all of the switches would work, and to my satisfaction it did. Headlights would turn on, and off, all of the different settings of the wiper mode would work, and turn signals work just fine. After the verification that all of the switches would work, I put back all of the shrouds, panels, and steering wheel and took it out for a test run. Everything would work like how I tested, except of one, when ever I turn either left or right and turn signal wouldn’t go back to neutral without any assistance. Only if it was a sharp turn that it would go back to neutral, but even then it wasn’t as strong. I don’t know if you guys ever notice, but whenever you turn your turn signal on whether it is right or left, it would make a click sound and when it goes back to neutral it would also make that click notifying that it is back to neutral. Well mine doesn’t do that when it is going back to neutral. From this diagram http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1h/bl447h.htm they have a part called “turn signal cancel sleeve” I was wondering is there a specific way to put that part back? I just slip it on the same way I notice it when I took off the combination switch but maybe I didn’t put on correctly. Or maybe since it is the used part that the grease/lubricant is lacking and that is why it maybe having a hard time going back to neutral?

Old 12-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

If you look at the old combination light switch, there should be a ****/button that sticks out that would face the steering wheel. If I remember correctly, that part fits into a groove on the back of the steering wheel.

You can try testing by pushing the lever on the old switch. Then push the button to see if releases it.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:53 PM

Thanks, I will try that when I get the chance!