General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Unable to Open Rear Door

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:12 PM
karl1234
Unregistered
Default Unable to Open Rear Door

I have aproblem with my 1998 Honda Accord. It has central locking and the rear drivers side passenger door cannot open from the outside. I also have child locks on and so am unable to open the door from the inside. I have looked on the internet and there are sugesstions to remove the door panel from the inside and drill the lock catch. This will cause some damage. Labour alone quoted at a dealer is 4 hours. I would like to know if there is some other solution. Thanx for your help.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Unable to Open Rear Door

Looking for that big red easy button! I don't think there is one for this problem. Door latch must be moved somehow. Since inside door latch is disabled by child lockout, you will need to access the door latch frominside after removing the door panel. If child lockout is in the door end and unaccessible, no way to release the child lockout.

You will probably have to remove the rear seat from pax side to gain access for door panel removal. Get shop manual to understand how to remove rear seat and door panel w/o damage.

The door latch drill opening and push latch instructions you mentioned are usually for front door. I don't know they apply equally well to rear door, but may.

You may decide that 4 hrs is not too bad before you finish. Recently a fellow had this problem for front door and drilled some 14 holes looking for the latch mechanism w/o success. This is sort of problem that experience is valuable. Not that you might not succeed, but be prepared for some problems.

good luck

Old 06-28-2008, 02:29 AM
karl1234
Unregistered
Default RE: Unable to Open Rear Door

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.

Not the response I was hoping for. I was hoping for a quick, easy and cheap solution - but obviously there isn't one. It's just gonna take a lot of blood and sweat and timeto rectify this problem.

Once again thanks for your help.