General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Cover Timing Belt--Broken Bolt Housing...& Misc

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Agreed. It is misleading.
OP, did you add the front balance shaft seal retainer while you were in there? .
What is it about that particular seal, or shaft, which results in them popping out?

Roy

Old 04-07-2018, 04:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by irhunter
What is it about that particular seal, or shaft, which results in them popping out?

Roy
Honda never added 1, even though they knew the seal could walk out. Yes, Honda is/was aware of it. I put a retainer in them whenever I do a timing belt job, unless 1 is already installed. It's cheap insurance.
After I saw how quickly my wife's car dropped that much oil in such a short distance, and at basically idle, I knew I had to do something. And for as cheap as the retainer sells for, it's worth doing. I did a search on here, as it was recommended, then I looked on Rock Auto after I ordered it from CarQuest (he had it the next day), and saw how cheap it was.
I'd hate to see how quick the engine could seize if it happened at highway speed. And that's the thing, we take my wife's car on road trips with lots of freeway miles.

But honestly, I don't know why it just walks out of it's spot, but it does have a lot of oil behind it.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:38 PM
Default Several additonal observations...

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Agreed. It is misleading.
OP, did you add the front balance shaft seal retainer while you were in there? If not, you can add it while the lower cover is off. I only mention it, as my wife's 2000 Accord spit that seal out in the driveway and dumped about 2-3 qts of oil in 30 feet at idle with no warning. I used the Dorman retainer from CarQuest on her's, but on the other 2 Accords I have here I got the retainer from Rock Auto for 1/2 the price (4.95 + shipping), versus 10.95 at CarQuest for the same part. However, I added the retainer in with the timing belt kit and some other bit's (like NGK spark plugs and wires, and other stuff).
Just something to think about.
Yes I installed the retainer. Dealership has it for ~$6.
Like JimBlake mentioned, the rear balancer sprocket had 3 marks: a line to line at ~5 o'clock, filled circle/dimple at ~12 or 1 oclock, and a filled triangle immediately to the right of it. With a drill bit inserted into the maintenance hole, I aligned the 5 oclock lines which also aligns in between the 2 other markings. But, there was still some play/travel [e.g. 1/2-1 tooth?]. I had paint marked the front and rear balancers to the old belts before removal. When I put on the new belt exactly the same number of teeth, the rear balancer would be 'mis-aligned' by 1/2-1 tooth. After attempting to realign to get exactly as before, it would still be 'mis-aligned'. So, I continued and eventually finished the project. Drive testing the car seemed fine.

Several additonal observations:
-------------------------------------------
1. neither fan turned on during the coolant refill stage. Engine on idle for about 45 min [while I was cleaning up and preparing for oil change]. Temp remained just above 1/3
--but, after driving it for several miles, I noticed fans came on very briefly. So, that was a relief
--But, why didn't the fans turn on while idling with full heater

2. accessory belts squeals for less than 10 seconds upon engine crank. Some say the belts may be loose and needs tightening [e.g. 1/2" deflection]. I reused these belts because they look really good. I don't know [because my elderly mother drives it and all past repairs/maintenance were done at shops under several family members' knowledge] but I think they were replaced about 1 year ago. But, they felt quite adequately tight. I'll probably try tightening them a bit and see
--didn't make squeal when engine was turned on during coolant refill, before the car was lowered to the ground

3. I was banging my head about the torque discrepancy of the side engine mount bracket. I was taking toooooo long trying to research for a definitive answer, but found various numbers, which some of you probably would say the difference might be negligible.
--the side bracket has 3 varying length bolts to secure horizontally to the engine
--this side bracket has 1 permanent bolt ["through bolt"???] and a bolt hole

*In the end, I torqued these to 40 ft lbs. I am wondering if the the through bolt should be 47? I think the 47 is for the through-bolt for the front mount [facing radiator]? Wondering what is the definitive answer for a 6th gen 2000 accord f23a4???

Bolts [3 horizontal, mount to engine] .....Through Bolt & Nut [2 vertical bolts, securing to upper mount bracket]

++Chilton [soft cover book]: 40 ft lbs ..... 47 ft lbs
++Chilton online [via libray]: 35 or 40? ..... ?
++Service Manual [p.131/2530]: 35 ..... ?
++Instructions came with parts [Aisin]: ? ..... 47?
++DriveAccord.com FAQ: 40 ? 28 Mount-to-chassis bolts
6th Gen FAQ (Read Before Posting) - 6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums

Last edited by windnsalsa; 04-08-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by windnsalsa
Several additonal observations:
-------------------------------------------
1. neither fan turned on during the coolant refill stage. Engine on idle for about 45 min [while I was cleaning up and preparing for oil change]. Temp remained just above 1/3
--but, after driving it for several miles, I noticed fans came on very briefly. So, that was a relief
--But, why didn't the fans turn on while idling with full heater

2. accessory belts squeals for less than 10 seconds upon engine crank. Some say the belts may be loose and needs tightening [e.g. 1/2" deflection]. I reused these belts because they look really good. I don't know [because my elderly mother drives it and all past repairs/maintenance were done at shops under several family members' knowledge] but I think they were replaced about 1 year ago. But, they felt quite adequately tight. I'll probably try tightening them a bit and see
--didn't make squeal when engine was turned on during coolant refill, before the car was lowered to the ground

3. I was banging my head about the torque discrepancy of the side engine mount bracket. I was taking toooooo long trying to research for a definitive answer, but found various numbers, which some of you probably would say the difference might be negligible.
--the side bracket has 3 varying length bolts to secure horizontally to the engine
--this side bracket has 1 permanent bolt ["through bolt"???] and a bolt hole

*In the end, I torqued these to 40 ft lbs. I am wondering if the the through bolt should be 47? I think the 47 is for the through-bolt for the front mount [facing radiator]? Wondering what is the definitive answer for a 6th gen 2000 accord f23a4???

Bolts [3 horizontal, mount to engine] .....Through Bolt & Nut [2 vertical bolts, securing to upper mount bracket]

++Chilton [soft cover book]: 40 ft lbs ..... 47 ft lbs
++Chilton online [via libray]: 35 or 40? ..... ?
++Service Manual [p.131/2530]: 35 ..... ?
++Instructions came with parts [Aisin]: ? ..... 47?
++DriveAccord.com FAQ: 40 ? 28 Mount-to-chassis bolts
Good that you installed the retainer.Like I said cheap insurance.
1a) If you had the blower on while in heat mode, you're cooling the coolant with it (it's basically a small radiator). The temp gauge going to 1/3rd is right where you want it. As far as it coming on for a short bit is normal, but I'd check and make sure the coolant level is topped up (once it's cool again).
2a) I'd tighten up the belt a little more. I only say that, as it's a used belt and is already "pre-stretched", so you can tighten it a little more.
3a) Your 40 ft lbs is right on target with the FSM, which is what I'd use for numbers (they are Hondas numbers). You should be good to go once you tighten up the drive belt a little more. Congrats.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Depending on climate & driving, a belt can get old (age) without looking "old". It looks fine but it gets a bit hard & slippery. So maybe tighten it a bit, but resist the temptation to overtighten it & risk problems with the alternator bearings or PS bearings.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Depending on climate & driving, a belt can get old (age) without looking "old". It looks fine but it gets a bit hard & slippery. So maybe tighten it a bit, but resist the temptation to overtighten it & risk problems with the alternator bearings or PS bearings.
I tightened them more and the AC tightening eliminated the squeal. I am wondering if there is any hint [besides the special measuring tool or correct measurement from a ruler] if belts are too tight.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by windnsalsa
I tightened them more and the AC tightening eliminated the squeal. I am wondering if there is any hint [besides the special measuring tool or correct measurement from a ruler] if belts are too tight.
Don't know. I'm used to separate "V" belts, so if there's some noise, I'll tighten it up a little more. If there's no noise, I'll leave it.