General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vss help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:16 PM
Default Vss help

I picked up a 95 Accord about a week ago. It had the flashing d4 (Code 4) and CEL (Code 17). I thought for sure it was my vss. The car Drives fine otherwise except for a rough down shift at lower speeds when the CEL is on.
I picked up a new vss from autozone and swapped it in. I first checked (by spinning the wheel slowly) that the little key/pin was rotating as it should, all good there. But still no luck...

After replacing the vss with out any luck I bought a used cluster (119k) off ebay, swapped it in with no luck Still!

No Speedo
No Odometer
Abs light on (idk if its related)
CEL (17)
D4 (4)

I did a continuity check on the orange wire on the connector all the way back to the cluster and it tested good.

With the key on and the vss disconnected ( Messured at the plug the plugs onto the vss)
Yellow- Battery voltage
Orange-about 5v (4.8v)
Black- Has a good ground

BUT as soon as i plug the connector on the vss the voltage on the orange wire jumps 6v to 10.8 or so and the Yellow wire still reads about battery voltage.

It seems that the vss is bad but this is the second one Ive tried from autozone....bad Batch?

Whats the nominal resistance readings of a good Vss?

Any help is much appreciated....Ive searched all over and cant figure out why my voltage jumps to almost 11v on the orange wire when i believe it should stay at the 5v that was on the orange wire prior to plugging it in....

Ive also swapped out the tcm...

THANKS

Old 07-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

The VSS orange wire suppose to pulse from 0V to approx. 5V.

It may be a bad VSS or a short in the orange wire.

The orange wire runs from the VSS to an 8P gray connector (Connector C134) in the engine bay, through a 20P white junction connector way up behind the driver's side dash, then separately to the ECM, TCM, cruise control unit, and the gauge assembly. If there was a short in the orange wire, the short can be anywhere along there. I've only attached a picture of Connector C134.

This other link has some info. regarding the VSS too.

VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor Troubleshoot, Repair, Replace - How To.

Last edited by redbull-1; 08-14-2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: image removed
Old 07-24-2014, 02:55 AM

Im getting 4.8v on the orange wire at the plug (disconnect from the vss)
As soon as i plug in the vss it jumps to 10v

Doesnt that sound like a short in the Sensor?

thanks. ...

Old 07-24-2014, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

If the VSS harness connector is not connected to the VSS, there should be no voltage on the orange wire. If there is voltage, then there is a short somewhere in the orange wire. You might want to start disconnecting harness connectors where the orange wire runs, to try to narrow down where the short may be.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
If the VSS harness connector is not connected to the VSS, there should be no voltage on the orange wire. If there is voltage, then there is a short somewhere in the orange wire. You might want to start disconnecting harness connectors where the orange wire runs, to try to narrow down where the short may be.

That is AWSOME info to know! So with the key on i should have battery voltage at the Yellow and 0v on the orange wire (@ the plug disonneted from the vss)

So the vss generates the 5v signal. ..so basicly the orange wire is used as an output to send the 5v pulse back to the computer(s) and Speedometer?

I guess ill start tomorrow by tracing the orange wire with volt meter and see if I can find the short...

Last edited by CarSick; 07-24-2014 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

See my previous post #2, the orange wire from the VSS goes to the ECM, TCM, cruise control unit, and the gauge assembly. If there was a short in the orange wire, the short can be anywhere along there or caused by one of the components.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:22 PM

I found this link to some awsome pdf's. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the "Electrical System" then check out page 138 concerning the vss.

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/

I think, according to pg 138 that there should be 5v on the orange wire at the connector, as the Vss rotates the 5v is transmitted as a square wave...

I have 4.8v then it jumps to 10v when the harness is plugged onto the Vehicle Speed Sensor......? Wtf

Old 07-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

The orange wire is an output wire from the VSS. It is not suppose to have a voltage reading if it was not even plugged into the VSS.

What you're posting seems to indicate a short in the orange wire , where something is providing 4.8V even before the VSS is plugged in. Since the VSS output suppose to pulse from 0V to ~ 5V, adding the VSS ~5v to the 4.8V would theoretically give your ~10V.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:03 PM

I completly agree with u, except from what ive read the harness (orange wire) provides 5v to the Vss. When the wheel turns it grounds out the 5v producing 0v....so im starting to thing the Vss makes the 5v square wave by pulsing the 5v on and off as the wheel spins, rather than actually generating the 5v and sending it out....hope that makes some sense

I REALLY appreciate your help...

Old 07-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Where are you reading the the orange wire provides 5V to the VSS?

The VSS terminal 3 is the vehicle speed output to the orange wire, there is no input that suppose to go into the VSS terminal 3. The VSS gets it power already from terminal 2 yellow wire, and ground from terminal 1 black wire.

Quick Reply: Vss help