General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSS Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Default VSS Not Working

Having a similar problem on my 95 Honda Accord LX (4 cyl, automatic).

I replaced my VSS and yet the cruise control, speedometer, and odometer still doesn't work. The old VSS had a bent shaft thing, and when I replaced it with a new one it still hovers at 20 mph.

Could it be that the part that Advance Auto gave me is faulty? Maybe I put it in a messed up way? Or am I looking at something more complicated such as the speedometer itself being bad? There's no check engine light on to indicate anything either. Everything works fine but the odometer won't turn and the needles bounces at 20 until I shut it off. I thought about "bumping" the dash but I don't think it'll do anything at this point. Also I don't think my D4 light comes on, it may be burnt out.

Last edited by Joetime; 04-24-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Don't post at end of a related or unrelated thread. Start your own thread.

Does Check Engine Light come on when car is started and run for 1-2 secs and go off?

Does D4 light indicate when shift position is selected? If not it's burnt out and should be replaced. I don't know any other way to check for TCU codes.

Probably the gauge panel is faulty. Some have been able to repair by pulling the panel and resoldering solder jts or looking for damage and repairing.

good luck

Old 04-24-2013, 06:59 PM

Sorry about the thread necro. To be honest I didn't have a peek at the rules like I should have, but it won't happen again.

But to answer your questions:

1. I do believe I see the engine light come on then off after its started. At least when I put it to II the lights come on.

2. The D4 light does not show when I'm in that gear. So therefore its burned out. I'll look into the how to's on replacing that.

I'm guessing I'll have a go at the panel pcb. I believe this was the thread to look to: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2087284

Last edited by Joetime; 04-25-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Joe- just me but the cruise and speedo are on different circuits.....

So if the cruise worked before this issue then we have a different animal.

Been around aircraft in any way? Sorry, just thought I've seen this somewhere.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 PM

Not that I know of. I have no idea if the cruise control had worked beforehand. I should probably really replace the D4 light asap so I can see if its blinking. The check engine light its not on but I know the light works cause it goes on then off when I put the ignition to II.

I only mentioned the cruise control cause I read that if the cruise control works and the speedo doesn't, then its the speedo itself, and if the cruise and speedo both don't work then I read that it was the VSS. Sorry but this car is my first Honda and I have no idea about them except what others are telling me.

Some other sites have said that it could be the computer under the passengers side, or the speedometer gear in the transmission could be missing or something. Perhaps I can also check the VSS itself through either voltages or manually spinning it.

Last edited by Joetime; 04-24-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:37 PM
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by Joetime
Having a similar problem on my 95 Honda Accord LX (4 cyl, automatic).

I replaced my VSS and yet the cruise control, speedometer, and odometer still doesn't work. The old VSS had a bent shaft thing, and when I replaced it with a new one it still hovers at 20 mph.

Could it be that the part that Advance Auto gave me is faulty? Maybe I put it in a messed up way? Or am I looking at something more complicated such as the speedometer itself being bad? There's no check engine light on to indicate anything either. Everything works fine but the odometer won't turn and the needles bounces at 20 until I shut it off. I thought about "bumping" the dash but I don't think it'll do anything at this point. Also I don't think my D4 light comes on, it may be burnt out.
I have same exact problem has anybody found the fix?