General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSS speedometer cruise control issue. Works sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

THANK YOU for following up on the actual fix. Is it possible that a failing motor mount allowed the engine to move too much, yanking off the vacuum line?

As an aside, I've taken to getting a baseline reading on my phone's GPS whenever I rent or borrow a car; speedometers can be amazingly inaccurate.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by nickmg555
nope, i have a gps for when i have to watch my speed otherwise i follow others or go by the feeling.

Since nobody was able to offer any insight on the cruise control issue i have i feel it is only fair to share my findings so others who stumble upon this page hoping for an answer to there cruise control problem can hopefully find it.

I found that in other vehicles people have reported crusie control issues and a common cause has been a vacumm line issue. i followed the diagram for the vacumm system and as i followed the vacumn line from the cruise control canister on the passenger side to the center of the engine compartment the line attached to a rigidly attached roghly 1 foot long metal tube and i found there was no line on the other side of the tube which is suppose to hook up to the vacumn system. after a short search i found the hose by following the diagram in the opposite direction and it had simply popped off the metal tube.

Simple fix. no tools required. and best of all.. no expenses!

I attached the portion of the vacumm system diagram which the cruise control could be affected.

Actually not only did I have a thread recently about my cruise control not working and posted about how my vacuum line was disconnected I also helped someone else fix theirs who had the same problem.

I lost interest in your thread when you said you did not care if your speedometer works or not.

i think that is very unsafe and do not condone that type of action.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:27 PM

I don't think it was a motor mount issue as much as it may have been bumped into during maintenance. And the line is 15 years old so it's not exactly a snug fit.

As for the speedometer my gps is about 2-3 mph off. And I'm not worried about knowing speed I don't have a lead foot and I know what is and what's not a safe operating speed. I can fly an aircraft without ever needing to reference the speed and I can drive my car safely without knowing my speed. Just by knowing the gear I'm in and the engine rpm I can assume a reasonably close speed. The only thing I would be worried about it when there's no other vehicles around and a speed trap ahead. I also hate not having an accurate mileage count but it will have to wait until I get the cluster resoldered this summer.

P.S. - is there any mobile format of this forum? My phone can't keep up with the giant text box and freezes quite a bit while I'm typing and screws everything up.

Last edited by nickmg555; 04-29-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad that you figured it out. And thanks for posting the results.

I tried to help by having you check for codes, but you never responded. A failing VSS should set an engine code and cause the cruise control and speedometer not to work. That is the quickest test for CC/speedometer problems.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I'm glad that you figured it out. And thanks for posting the results.

I tried to help by having you check for codes, but you never responded. A failing VSS should set an engine code and cause the cruise control and speedometer not to work. That is the quickest test for CC/speedometer problems.
Sorry I forgot to mention that I wasn't getting any codes. But since it was an intermittent issue I figured it may have slipped past the computer and it only seemed like a logical fix for the problem at hand. The cluster is the only thing that makes sense at this point seeing as there isn't really any other failure points in the speed sensing system. So I will be resoldering it sometime this summer. At least half the original problem was fixed today.