General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

water in engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 11:56 AM
shellenz
Unregistered
Default water in engine

I've searched all the forums and can't seem to find information on getting water out of the engine. It first started when the car (94 accord non-vtec auto) would not get past 2nd gear so the rpms were really high. It died on me and I had to tow it. After my last post about getting it to start, I decided to dismantle the engine in order to get to the fuel filter, which could have been the problem and also saw that the distributor contacts were worn. I sanded them down and put it back together. I replaced the fuel filter, replaced the intake gasket and thouroughly cleaned the engine with steaming hot water in order to get all the dirt and grease out. I got it there really good and even sprayed into the intake. The next day I used electronic cleaner and engine degreaser and choke cleaner to make sure the electrical contacts were good and to get the water out. The engine looked really clean and everything was hooked up. I proceeded to start it, forgetting about the water that could still be trapped in the engine. Didn't start and I took out the plugs and started it. Water sprayed out so then I drained the oil and changed the filter. I must have cranked the engine every hour of that day and there was still a mist of water spraying out, but just from the first cylinder. Should there be oil in there while I'm getting water out? And is there a surefire way to know the starter or alternator is not messed up or anything else? I've really screwed up this cleaning job, I know. And what about the valves being broken. What should I listen for? The starter does sound a little rough like the teeth aren't catching, but I'm not really sure. The next thing I think I'll do is drop the oil pan and go from there. Any help would be a godsend.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: water in engine

You seriously sprayed water into your engine to clean it? This is almost as funny as the story about the two kids who "ported and polished" the intake on their Audi A4 1.8T by feeding playground sand through the intake while it was running.

Obviously, not shifting past 2nd is a tranny problem, not engine. Secondly, the fuel filter is on the fuel line, no need to take anything apart on the engine.

Take this car to a shop and go from there. No need to further mess this car up.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:23 PM

I call "joke post", there's no way this is legit?

If this is a serious post I'm going to print it and pass it on to the other techs I work with...

[:-]

Old 09-29-2008, 03:24 PM

lol

Old 09-29-2008, 06:35 PM

woo..........

i am speechless..........wow []....

Please twell me that you did not spray water into the intake to clean it and this is a big joke .....

Old 09-29-2008, 06:40 PM

I have a feeling this ones for real....[sm=laughat.gif]

Old 09-30-2008, 09:28 AM

OMG that poor car... listen to finch and take it into a shop to get it fixed.

after that the car might not be worth gettin fixed, since u also seem 2 have trans problems

Old 09-30-2008, 10:25 AM

"car wouldn't shift past 2nd so i dismantled the engine to get to the fuel filter"

joke post.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 PM

water in the engine cannot be compressed, therefore things bend and break if you crank it like that. so i'd start with doing a compression test just to see how it looks now.