General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leak on drivers side floorboard (wet carpet)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:32 PM
Default Water leak on drivers side floorboard (wet carpet)

95 Accord 4-cylinder 4-door EX

Unfortunately during this rainy season I am having a wet carpet (floorboard) that is baffling me on where the water is entering the cabin. So this is what I did to try and narrow down the leak.

-Removed carpet and dried the floorboard in a garage.
-While raining moved the car outside to expose it to rain for 30 minutes.
-Put the car back in the garage and tried to find the entrance of the water.
-Water is coming down the bottom of the fuse box and leaking onto the floor (green circle).
-Water is coming down from wires or some sort of grommet (red circle).
-Water is settling on the floorboard (black circle).

While under the dash (drivers side of course) I was able to find the stream of water and take pictures. Seems it is either coming in from the windshield or some grommet, but I can't get my eyes on it since it is so far up in the dash. Was wondering if removing the dashboard will give me more eyesight or if anyone has had this issue before. Haven't had any modifications done under the dash or firewall since I installed a clutch master cylinder 5 years ago. I do have a amp installed (10 years ago) so the positive wire is going through the rubber seal where the other wires enter the cabin, but its all dry there. Windshield was replaced 10 years ago. Looking under the hood (engine bay) where the clutch master cylinder and positive enter the firewall is all dry. Is it possible to unplug and remove the entire fuse box to get a better picture on where the water is coming from. Also, checked the front pillar since I do have a sunroof and no water there. Also I do not see the drain for the sunroof in the A-pillar. I'm sure it is probably routed to the fender area.

Any insight is appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails Water leak on drivers side floorboard (wet carpet)-20180311_195120.jpg   Water leak on drivers side floorboard (wet carpet)-20180311_193553.jpg   Water leak on drivers side floorboard (wet carpet)-20180311_192207.jpg  

Last edited by djkurious; 03-14-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

A common source for water entering the car is the moon-roof. There are drains on each corner and they may be clogged. You may need a pipe cleaner to unclog them.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
A common source for water entering the car is the moon-roof. There are drains on each corner and they may be clogged. You may need a pipe cleaner to unclog them.
That's what I was going to say... clogged sunroof drain. This seems more common to the left side than any other corner.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Disconnected drain tube seems equally likely. Especially if it's not actually dripping from the headliner around the sunroof.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the advice. I took a tube and stuck it down the sunroof drain about 2 inches and poured water into it. Water drained to the ground as designed. Checked where it leaked water and still no sign of entry into the cabin. I'm stumped!

Old 05-03-2019, 03:01 PM
Default Solved?

Were you able to eventually find the leak? I've confirmed sunroof drains are good. It mainly comes in back driver floorboard. Help, please!!!!

Old 05-03-2019, 03:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Chris Velte
Were you able to eventually find the leak? I've confirmed sunroof drains are good. It mainly comes in back driver floorboard. Help, please!!!!
This is because of where the drain tube ends (right in that area on the engine side of the fire wall).

Old 05-03-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Velte

Yes, it was leaking water from where the rubber boot the wires enter the cabin located behind the fender.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:10 PM

Will show this to my neighbor friend helping me. The mold is getting bad with smell. I'll post about my success soon! Thanks!!!

Old 05-03-2019, 03:20 PM

Remember we found that the headliner area on left rear side is wet... friend put hand and pushed, sure enough it is wet up there. He put some silicone stuff on top of back windshield and by the black strip on top of roof. He keeps thinking this is it but massive rains today have shown it's not fixed. What about those pillars I had read about?