General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Water pump bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Default Water pump bad?

From everything i've read on the forum- I figue i have a bad Water pump.
my 92 accord overheats. i've replaced the thermostat 2 times. second one with OEM Honda Thermostat. Replaced radiator cap, hoses, and flushed the antifreeze. My car overheats with or without the thermostat in. the coolant is always full and never leaks. any ideas? bad water pump or blown head gasket? if it is a bad water pump, how much am i looking to spend goint to a shop? also my car surges at first when i start the car. Later when i warms up, it's fine.

thanks guys

Old 09-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Default RE: Water pump bad?

when the car is cold and has set overnight pull off the radiator cap and look at the coolant, if it has a rainbow like colored film floating on the top of it then that means you have some oil in your anti-freeze which would point towards a bad head gasket, also, check your oil and make sure it's not milky colored at all, if it is don't start your car, if both of those things look fine then I'd assume that your water pump may have lost it's fins or is bad, or possibly the temperature sensor, so at that point the water pump costs about $110 I believe and if you're going to have that done you may as well have the timing belt done at the same time if it hasn't been done in the last 60k or so miles. Total cost on an older civic I had it done to was about $300.00 parts/labor so total for a water pump and timing belt is probably going to be around 3-$400 if you take it to a shop (that's prices in my area anyway...)

Old 09-19-2006, 07:24 PM

I find it hard to believe that the vanes in the water pump are not turning when the shaft is definitely turning, but maybe the impeller has come off the shaft and it's just sitting stationary in it's cavity.

You've probably checked for this, but you didn't mention it specifically, so I'll ask anyway ........ is the electric fan turning on?

Old 09-19-2006, 07:29 PM

good question... the reason I mentioned the water pump thing is because I had the veins in one of my vehicles deteriorate over time to the point where they didn't hardly exist

Old 09-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Tony1M

I find it hard to believe that the vanes in the water pump are not turning when the shaft is definitely turning, but maybe the impeller has come off the shaft and it's just sitting stationary in it's cavity.

You've probably checked for this, but you didn't mention it specifically, so I'll ask anyway ........ is the electric fan turning on?
Tony believe it,, thats what happens when people do not replace coolant , it will eat the pump fins to the point that there is nothing left .. i have seen it 3 times

Before you start blaming the water pump do a leakage test to make sure head gasket is not blown

another thing you can try is to remove the plugs and pressure test the radiator ,,see if any coolant leaks into the plugs

radiator is not plugged is it ?both fans working ?

Old 09-26-2006, 02:38 PM

My fans are working fine. I blew a small hose yesterday because the car got so hot. I need to ck the antifreeze to see if there is any oil in it. It seems like the car has gradually been getting worse. I have been driving the car for about a year and once and awhile the temp would read hot. I would ck the coolent temp and it was normal so i thought it was a temp guage problem. I put in the thermostat just recently and it's hot most of the time. The past couple days, it's been really hot. I don't think the radiator is plugged. it's pretty new and i flushed it. any more hints and i'll try the tests already mentioned
Thanks again

I know i'm an idiot for driving it, but what can you do when your just getting by.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:25 PM

Just as a test - once the car is fully warmed up and maybe overheating, try turning on the heater fan full blast at the highest temperature setting. See if that lowers engine temp a bit.

Hopefully you don't live in Arizona!

Old 09-26-2006, 05:04 PM

That car with the bad pump I purchased that way.... Good point on the heater thing, once the heater kicks on/you turn it on it acts like a radiator and draws air accross another cooling surface... but you're still going to need to do the tests on your car.... if the head gasket is blown you may just end up spending a lot of cash on stuff you don't need.... It's cheaper to diagnose and fix stuff than it is to just go for it....

Old 04-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Angry my 92 accord wagon lx

i have a 92 accord wagon lx and is over heating but when i get to a stop when i press the gas it go back down i replaced the thermostat, water pump, timing belt, thermostat switch and the sensor in the front, fans are working and the head gasket is good. i dont have no idea what else can it be do anybody have a idea?