General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 Accord 4cyl water pump possibly gone bad. Belt is shredding

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Default 03 Accord 4cyl water pump possibly gone bad. Belt is shredding

I have an 03 accord LX (the 2.4 4 cyl) It makes me happy to know that the 4 cyls have the chain not the belt. But i think my water pump is shot
it started that I was getting a kind of grinding noise from that part of the motor and couldn't figure it out. My neighbor says it looks like your tension pulley is bad it's kicking every once in a while. So i picked one up from a junk yard for 75 buks and installed it. but before I did I noticed the belt was ripping causing it to tear the felt liner on the hood. After starting it upit was making the same grinding noise. MMM it must be the power steering pump. 120 later it was making the same noise and the belt was shredding once again. WHAT THE ??? So I replaced the belt, but this time I studied the belt and pulleys and that noise. I now believe the water pump pulley has a slight wobble. quite possibly giving me that noise
Anyone with answers? Is there a how to on just the water pump? since i don't have to do the timing belt (chain)
Thanks in advance

Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Default serpentine belt shredding??

Has anyone had this issue?
I have an 03 Accord LX 2.4 4cyl and I am on my 3rd belt. I may have come to the conclusion that the water pump is bad. If so can anyone point me in the right direction?

after reading some of the posts here, It makes me happy to know that the 4 cyls have the chain not the belt. But i think my water pump is shot. It started that I was getting a kind of grinding/ marbling kina noise. My neighbor says it looks like your tension pulley is bad it's kicking every once in a while. So i picked one up from a junk yard for 75 bucks and installed it. But before I did I noticed the belt was ripping causing it to tear the felt liner on the hood. After replacing the tensioner pulley, it was making the same grinding noise. MMM it must be the power steering pump. A buck 20 later, it was making the same noise and the belt was shredding once again. WHAT THE ??? So I replaced the belt, but this time I studied the belt and pulleys and that noise. I now believe the water pump pulley has a slight wobble, quite causing that noise and chewing up my belts
Anyone with answers? Is there a how to on just the water pump? since i don't have to do the timing belt (chain)

Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

I've moved this to a new thread....you were at the end of another and I thought this would be better.

Recheck the pulleys. If there is a "wobble" in the wp then I would agree.

If it is the wp, replacement is pretty straight forward.

EDIT: I now see you had another post - I've merged them into one.

Attached Thumbnails 03 Accord 4cyl water pump possibly gone bad. Belt is shredding-7th-gen-4-cyl-water-pump.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 07-27-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

I used to have a 2003 and the tensioner pulley bearing started rattling & wobbling. Thing is, you should remove the belt and check all the pulleys for smooth operation without loose wobbling motion. Whichever one is loose or rattling, that's where you should be; don't change idler just because that was the loose pulley on my daughter's car.

Anyway, you can probably find threads where they say to run the engine with the external drive belts removed. That's ONLY for the older 4-cyl (up to 2002) because the F-series engine drives it's waterpump from the timing belt. You shouldn't run yours without the external belt.