General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ways to increase MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Default ways to increase MPG?

im sorry if this question has already been answered already. if so you can direct me to such thread.

My MPG definately is not the so called "29 mpg highway" im getting roughly 22-25 mpg and with gas prices well over $4 here, fuel efficiency is critical.

I was just wondering if anyone had ideas on ways to help increase this number to help cut down with the fuel intake.

The car is a 97 accord 4 cyl automatic.

any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Check tire pressure. Keep up on scheduled maintenance like distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs.

Clean EGR ports.

Aggressive driving will decrease gas mileage.

Check that the brakes are not dragging. You may want to lubricate the sliding pins on the calipers using caliper grease (not bearing grease).

Old 04-23-2011, 03:54 PM
JMH

google hypermiling, this will give you all kinds of techniques to increase your mileage, some of its a little overboard in my opinion. But i get 30 -37 mpg in my 93 accord applying these techniques sensibly.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Follow some of what has already been posted. Other things I've also done in the past is replacing the PCV valve, keeping tire pressure at recommended level, and getting tires with LRR (low row resistance). When I had a 95 Accord, 4 cylinder EX, I always used Michelin Energy tires, etc. and routinely averaged 29 mpg with a mixed of street/highway.

For my 2009, I was averaging 27 mpg with the stock tires. When I replaced my tires with Michelin Energy A/S (all season), my avg. mpg went to 30 mpg. That was just from a switch to a LRR tire.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

All of these suggestions are good, any kind of maintenance to keep your car running it's best. Make sure your tire pressures are OK. Brakes not dragging.

Those are all small improvements - unless there's some serious problem with your engine.

But there's one thing that makes a tremendous difference, far more than all of those put together. It's how you control your own right foot. Testosterone wants you to plant your right foot on the floor to teach those nasty drivers of other cars who's boss. Nothing really wrong with doing that, but you will pay the price at the gas pump.

Hypermiling seems to use a lot of good common-sense suggestions. But those guys do it to such extremes that they can even get dangerous. Keep your safety at the front of your mind.