General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird '97 V6 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Default Weird '97 V6 starting problem

I'm getting a single click under the hood when I try to start my '97 EX V6 w/ automatic transmission. All lights and everything electrical seem to be working fine, and I already tried replacing the battery and having the alternator tested. It's the starter or solenoid, right? But if that's the case, why would it start fine when someone jumps me? Does that make sense? Because to my logic, if the starter or solenoid was the problem, it still wouldn't start if someone jumped me. I could be way off base here since I'm by no means an expert.

Everything was fine with no symptoms or warnings up until today, when it wouldn't start unless it was jumped. Yesterday I had the AC compressor replaced. Any ideas?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Disconnect + cable on the battery. Clean and tighten the two connections that go to the starter.

The one click points to the starter solenoid. If you can find someone to hold the key in the start position (you should hear one click). If you hit the starter with the handle of a screwdriver, and the starter works, then you pretty much verified that the starter solenoid is bad.

Autoparts stores can test if the starter is drawing enough current as well.

Replacing the starter solenoid is pretty simple to do on my 95 4-cyl. The V6 may have a different setup.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Disconnect + cable on the battery. Clean and tighten the two connections that go to the starter.

The one click points to the starter solenoid. If you can find someone to hold the key in the start position (you should hear one click). If you hit the starter with the handle of a screwdriver, and the starter works, then you pretty much verified that the starter solenoid is bad.

Autoparts stores can test if the starter is drawing enough current as well.

Replacing the starter solenoid is pretty simple to do on my 95 4-cyl. The V6 may have a different setup.
It certainly sounds like you're right, I'm just confused about why it starts easily when someone jumps me. Seems like it wouldn't start even with a jump with a bad solenoid, especially considering it has a brand new battery so it's not like a weak battery could be contributing to the problem. I'm taking it in today to have it looked at, I'll report back.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe it's something flaky with the battery cable connections. When you use jumper cables the power doesn't come from YOUR battery posts. Maybe corrosion or something at those connections?

Old 07-01-2010, 12:04 AM

Well, it was the starter after all-- the motor was bad. Apparently when I had it jumped it was giving it just enough extra juice to engage it.