General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Weird oil leak just got alot worse!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Weird oil leak just got alot worse!

I have had an oil leak on my 92 Honda Accord(4cyl. 5 spd) ever since I bought it but I have just been living with it up until now. I did discover one leak coming from the distributor housing and I replaced the O-ring seal and fixed that one. I just changed the oil last nite and started up the car and I looked under the car and there was oil pouring on the floor from someplace near the oil filter! I shut off the engine and made sure the oil filter and drain plug was tight, then started it up and the oil fountain started again! As far as I can tell, it is coming from above the oil filter. There was oil pouring out and running down over the oil filter. I know that is the area that it has been slowly leaking from all along. I also noticed that there was oil up on top of the fuel injector manifold, like it squirted up onto the top of the engine ! I am wondering if maybe there is an oil line somewhere in that area that could have ruptured that would squirt out oil like that? I have a hard time seeing down into that area with the fuel injection manifold and exhaust manifold in the way.I am hopeing that it isn't a blown head gasket. I really don't think a blown gasket would squirt out oil like that. It was late and I was at my mom's so I had to push it out of the garage and leave it there. I have a hell of a mess to clean up on the garage floor now! Anyone have any good links that I could look at for an engine schematic? I don't have a shop manual for this car yet. Thanks for any help guys.

Last edited by crshbandit; 09-12-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Check to see if it the oil cooler that's leaking. If so, you just need to replace the o-ring. The oil filter is screwed on to the oil cooler.

honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2880942

If it's not the oil cooler, it may be the oil pressure sending unit, located directly above the oil cooler.

Last edited by redbull-1; 09-12-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure Redbull-1 is dead on , one question I do have to ask. On the old filter, is the o-ring still there, by there I mean on the old filter...or maybe on the block? I've seen the old o-ring get left on the block.....if nothing else, changing the oil pressure switch with the filter off is sooo much easier.

Last edited by poorman212; 09-12-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:24 PM

The only additional thing I'd say is that the hollow shaft that holds the cooler in place should not be turned much at all after it gets tight, and it gets tight fast when you get it bottomed out.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:58 AM

X2 on removing the oil filter to look for the old gasket.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by cutlass327
X2 on removing the oil filter to look for the old gasket.
This same thing happened to me many years ago with my 1982 Toyota 4X4 truck. I did the first oil change, didn't notice the oil filter gasket had stuck to the area of the block where it seats against. So after installing the new filter and oil, I started it up and noticed a pool of oil on the garage floor. The gasket to gasket seal was the source...Always look at the old filter to confirm it is still there, or run your finger around the mounting area of the block.