General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What caused my oil pressure light to flicker ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 03:10 PM
hmr
Default What caused my oil pressure light to flicker ?

I own a 2000 Honda Accord EX sedan, A/T, 4 cylinder. On 9/11/18 I had some work done on the engine. An oil / filter change was done as part of that service. I happened to check the engine oil level ( cold ) a couple of days later and the level was at the bottom mark on the dipstick. No visible leaks or any other issues noticed. This morning I noticed that my oil pressure warning light started flickering when at idle. I took the car back to the mechanic and he told me that the oil pump and sensors are fine. He says that my engine oil was very dirty ( black ) when he changed it on 9/11. He says that the residual dirty oil in the system was causing the oil pressure light to malfunction and flicker. He says that he gave me a new oil change which should resolve the issue. So far today no more flickering. Here's my question. Does the dirty oil explanation make sense ? Or, was it caused by simply not putting enough oil into the engine when he changed it on 9/11 ? ( BTW, I didn't see the car on a lift at the shop this morning. So, I'm guessing that he just topped off the engine oil ). Thanks for any input.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Changing the oil should have removed most of the oil and the filter should pick up most contaminants.

Check your oil daily when the engine is cold to see if you are losing oil. If the level continuously gets lower, you either have a leak, or may be burning oil. Keep a spare quart of oil in your accord to top off if necessary. Running the engine with low oil pressure can cause some serious damage. Verify you are losing oil, then be sure you are topping off the oil until you repair the issue.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Changing the oil should have removed most of the oil and the filter should pick up most contaminants.

Check your oil daily when the engine is cold to see if you are losing oil. If the level continuously gets lower, you either have a leak, or may be burning oil. Keep a spare quart of oil in your accord to top off if necessary. Running the engine with low oil pressure can cause some serious damage. Verify you are losing oil, then be sure you are topping off the oil until you repair the issue.
I agree 100% completely. Make sure you're not leaking oil too, as that's the #1 cause of engine failure. Eric the car guy (You tube) showed the same Honda Civic getting it's 3rd engine from the owner not checking the oil. The college girl that owned it never checked it, and her dad just paid Eric to replace it twice (expensive oil change). Don't know if it's on it's 4th engine yet or not, as he hasn't mentioned it again.